This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions please

Discussion in 'Aquascaping' started by aibcarpentry, Dec 17, 2017.

1. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    3:11 PM
    See pictures at the very bottom of the post:

I have positioned a couple of pieces of wood to see how they look.

I'm interested to hear peoples opinions and/or suggestions. I still need to finalise the last few bits and give it a smooth off here and there. I am thinking I probably want some more wood in there also looking at it now but I know sometimes less is more.

It will all eventually be going in an aquascaper 600 which I should be delivered next month but I am just trying it out in my 900 so the blue tape marks the dimensions but it will be 90mm lower. I just want to get it fixed in place and soaking really.

I plan to put some pebbles much like the feel of the Lauris escape aquarium which you will find on UKAPS but plan to plant it out with mainly buces, some anubias and whatever else comes along the way.

*For those of you about to say anything about the plywood it is just temporary so I can get things looking right and then I plan to fix it to a slate tile by screwing from underneath with a stainless steel screw and most likely aquarium safe silicone so no plywood base!

2. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    It wouldn't let me add pictures as I have recently joined so hopefully it will let me add them now

3. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    Nd9UMQXPHsUHE-4YgiCqxtNiITW7SHhteGFrt1-KSTikk4LWn8gKC6e2AmflEs8QgPsCywAt2Ff2nbNKRnA=w455-h675-no.jpg
    M4h8GOnXwnxGXQcSsglK9hBezx6DfZiSONF1T6ug4kUg7F1bUY2Syw-TNloWcb56bPCcIDV5IoRTkefqlGg=w507-h675-no.jpg
    side view
    jSenCMQRiBiqU2ydkl9NzqjNymRKZBLbMpXm0EP3uCnd0-CWSxcGJonB8SYZJVE3Z4EXzADDVR0I6Fl5YyA=w507-h675-no.jpg

Phishless likes this.
  4. Dennis Singh

Dennis Singh SynKing!

Local Time:
    7:11 AM
    How about position it fully towards the back

I see if you put plants behind the wood, depending on what might look a bit weird
    as well you want to fill around the wood with mid ground out to foreground, like buildup the tree or wood piece if you know what I'm trying to say

If you were to position fully to the back
    You can have your tall plants off the side and still build up the wood

5. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    Hi Dennis,
    thanks for the input.

The piece of wood I think is missing is one going from the centre to back left, I plan to try putting some there and see what it looks like then, the whole thing can be pushed back a bit though and moved around a bit on the base.
    The whole point of this aquascape is to have a perimeter around the edges which will just be pebbles although agreeably not so much around the back, I think there are plenty of successful island aquascapes out there applying this theory.
    I plan to have most if not all plants attached to the wood hence the buces and anubias.

Cheers
    Andrew

6. burr740

burr740 Micros Spiller
    Staff Member Moderator

Local Time:
    9:11 AM
    Thats a sweet looking piece. I think your plan sounds good fwiw

aibcarpentry likes this.
  7. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    A couple of pics with the added piece and then a link to a quick video of it out of the tank.
    I know it still needs a good trim, sand and I'm going to try and make a few pieces join up a bit.
    Still open to opinion though.

Cheers
    Andrew

6z_vbkVc42eBb-uECxIylkFxGiEE5ph2QGlhEOwR81HlueIrGwb8Gszw3g5QN5122u41ECQB0VYB7LP8ypw=w507-h675-no.jpg
    JVYjTvE7wgMUDEixAnRobVfY5QK2Q2qcQi2JIZrGCxrzij7XI8-Zr3PL1Gox9ZZHBgz76fiL9EgyWL9HVGw=w507-h675-no.jpg
    fNsR8lw8RuUUwkk-rJtJaUZOTyJwddKej8MAWDjRuyO-hoc5cTHINNyVXJpmIMfT86VQUnZTKnHsn4ZBr-w=w507-h675-no.jpg
    https://photos.app.goo.gl/QeAMCwhPmtHOxK2j2

8. aibcarpentry

aibcarpentry Member

Local Time:
    This was a non starter and decided to knock it on the head before I started.

I went down the route of an iwagumi which I don't think I would do again.
    I'm looking to put some wood together in a different arrangement that I'm happy with and plant it up this time - I will start another thread

Tags: