Opinions on sump pump

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
I am setting up a tank with overflow box and not sure what pump to go on a 29 gal tank. I'm not wanting to spend more than $130 on the pump Please help advise. Thanks in advance.
Lyle

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Lyle,

Overflows should have a flow measurement in gph that denotes how much MAX water the overflow can deliver, say 250 gph.

Find out this info and then match your pump to that figure. Say a Mag drive 3.

You can go higher if you plan on adding components in line or just in case. Use a throttle valve to control flow.

I have used Danner Mag drives for years in sumps and they are quiet and reliable, IME. Come in many sizes and work well.

If the tank is only 29g, then look for something that can do 5-6x the tank volume per hour. So, a 200-300 gph sounds fine to me..

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
Thanks for your reply Gerryd. Catalina Aquarium
This is the over flow I plan on using will call and find out more info on it. This will be used on a reef set up so may be the wrong place to ask but have yet to find a saltwater forum yet I like. I was getting a little fustrated when I posted this as the mag drive pumps were the only pump that I could find a flow chart on. I am looking at just under 4 ft of head sump to tank. There will be 4 45 degree elbows and 2 90's in the return. I was thinking a mag 5 or equivialant which would put me at 380 gph at 4 ft and use a diversion to regulate extra flow back to sump. So please correct me in any way if I am understanding anything wrong. Am I right about the mag 5 and the head always have been unsure about this reading posts figuring in elbows and stuff to?

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
why do you think you need a sump? The only benefit is surface skimming, which isnt such a big deal in a small planted tank.
a closed loop setup is usually easier and less messy especially for smaller tanks, and can be made to easily fit whatever filtration or heating elements you want. would be even better if you drilled the tank to avoid messy pipes going over the tank.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Lyle,

Have you already purchased that unit? Reason is it uses a U shaped siphon tube to connect the tank to the overflow. These can be difficult to start. A tip is to snake some airline tubing UP the siphon to about the elbow. Suck on the tubing and it should draw the water and start the siphon.

I know that CPR makes different sizes and are high quality and do not require this tube.

This link includes a you tube video that provides a demo/info on CPR products and installation.

CPR CS50 Overflow Box

but have yet to find a saltwater forum yet I like.

Well, I know Tom is also into tidal pools and salty stuff so you are okay here. Plus, this is hardware which is applicable to both areas...........

I think you understand it quite well.

Well, I understand that elbows, pipe length, etc cause friction and affect the amount of flow you actually get in the tank. The more connections and length, the more loss.

Mag 3 are rated at 270 gph at 4' of head. So you will get somewhere over 200 I think all told. That is almost 7x tank volume so you should be good to go, but I do not know anything about salt critters and their requirements.

Hope this helps.

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
ntino this is not going to be a planted tank but a reef tank. Gerryd thanks for the reply again. I have not purchased the unit yet and thanks for the link, very nice unit add will tool around the link and have a look. Just gathering stuff up right now and doing research. I did a diy unit with the u tube and am awhere of the problems with starting them. From what I have read so far 10-20x per hour of turnover is what i'm looking at. The main reson for the sump is to get rid of heater, uv, and anything else that will get in the way of scaping. Thanks for your guys imput.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Well then a mag 5 sounds right up your alley......I have several unused laying around. If you are in my area, PM me and you can have one of them..............

I used a sump on a FW 20 gal long non co2/planted and it worked very well for years. Low maintenance and nice bio-filter...........kept the tank very clean and sweet.

Sumps are excellent for dumping stuff in. With your 20 gal you will need a 30 gal sump to hold a UV, heater, etc LOL

tinkerman

Subscriber
Dec 8, 2007
Moorhead,MN
Its a 29 gal tank with 20 gal long sump so hopefully I will have enough room for everything. No don't think we are any where near each other I'm in moorhead, mn if you have any idea where that is. Thanks again for that link as it has gotten rid of the headache of tring to find the head flow chart for each pump, I will now debate on the mag 5 or a rio+1700, I think I may try the rio as I like the powerhead I have and I can get a mag 5 at a few places in town if it dies on me. Thanks for the help again.

ntino

Guru Class Expert
Apr 29, 2008
this is to be saltwater?

I am not sure if most people on these forums realise, but x7 turnover for a small saltwater tank is WAY too low for flow.
I dont know how much your overflow can handle, but I would look into getting the biggest overflow you can get on this tank.
you need atleast x30 turnover, which is around 700-900gph flow, which means you need a high head rated pump that does around 1000gph, there are some blueline and other pumps that do that. is of course is provided you can find an overflow that would allow for such a flow - doubt you could with a hang-on-back one.
with saltwater, dont skimp on flow, you will still need to add more later via powerheads, which will take up alot of room in such a small tank and look ugly. better plan it form the start.
Saltwater is eventually expensive, even for smaller tanks, plan ahead.