This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

Open top vs covered top

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by thatguy2012, Mar 2, 2007.

1. thatguy2012

thatguy2012 Junior Poster

I have seen some tanks without tops on them, and I was wondering if there are any advantages or disadvantages to having them off. I just took the covers off of mine and the light seems a little better in the tank, have not decided if I will leave them off or not.

thank you

2. qsaark

qsaark Junior Poster

Yep, with cover, less loss of water but evaporating water (droplets on the glass) will reduce the light penetration. Without the cover, more water is lost depending on the humidity in the air. My plants are doing better without the cover though.

3. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

If you keep fish that are habitual jumpers you probably want a cover, but otherwise the added light and the lack of maintenance needed to keep a cover clean tilt the scale to no cover, in my opinion. I use a cooling fan on my light fixture in any case, so I get a lot of evaporation, but I also use an overflow drain and continuous trickle of water coming in, so the level never changes.

4. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator Social Group Admin

Jumping fish is the main issue.

A nice solution is using the ADA like metal S type hooks that are flatten metal hangers, these hardly detract from the look and the open feel, anmd then you have a thin glass top with a cut out for the hoses.

This is easily removed for open houses, photo shoots, maintenance etc.

Regards,
    Tom Barr