One....Two...Three....BLACKOUT

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC
Re: One....Two...Three....BLACKOUT

Ok thanks...this will commence today... I will keep you all up as to how well it works. :)

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC

Ok so far, I did a 50% change, and cleaned everything, vacuumed...etc. It is all over in spots I didn't even know about. Then I dosed 1 tps dry KNO3, and covered everything, including tubing, with double garbage bags, and even a quilt in case some light decided to come through....
It is so sad :(
Anyway, I will check back in when I uncover, waterchange and dose.
wish me luck

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

Give it the full 3 days.

You can peek etc and fed fish etc.

The tank will be spotless in terms of any visible BGA when you remove the cover.

Do the water change again, add KNO3 back and at least 2x a week from now on.

The BGA should not come back.

Once you kill off the BGA that's there, it's just a matter of growing the plants well and maintaining somewhat stable conditions.

While I do talk aboput killing algae, I talk far miore about growing plants..........

Anyone that gives you advice on algae cures, controls, snake oils etc, if they do not address plant health as part of the advice, slap them with a mullet, hard.
:D :gw

Regards,
Tom Barr

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC

lol Yes I will! I have mullets on hand for that very reason!
The issue I am concerned with is that I dose EI, religiously. I have not faultered. My plants grow like weeds! Noticeably even over night. My plants are extremely happy, so I am not sure what the issue is. My question to you is.....do you think it is because I swapped my intake to lilly pipes? They aren't very long and my tank is 2 feet in height, so it only goes down halfway. Perhaps the flow o the substrate isn't filtering ell and left over food doesn't get proper filtration?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005

When low flow issues come up with BGA, I often think low flow=> low exchange or nutrients on surfaces, this is actually very true.

When the region around the leaves, say those very fine needled plants, long the gravel line on the front glass below the surface, these are all places that can have low NO3 since there's are localized areas that have the NO3 removed by other bacteria/plants. and algae if they gain and foothold etc.

Once a weed/algae establishes itself, it's very hard to get rid of and we need more aggressive approaches than mere plant health.

Same is true in your lawn.

Regards,
Tom Barr

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC

Hmmmm thanx Tom..so should I beat you with a mullet? lol kidding...maybe I should put back the rena intake when I am back up and running.

fresh_newby

Prolific Poster
Apr 2, 2006
NYC

Blackout is over, thank God. It was depressing.
In just 3 days all of my plants grew through the top of the tank. I couldn't believe it. The M tuberculatum was a bit leggy but other than that all of the others exhibited lush growth in the deprivation mode. Weird. Anyway the BGA seems to be gone. I did a 50% change, vacuumed some of the substrate, and dosed KNO3 well. YAY no casualties. I will keep you posted if anything comes back, but it is free and clear right now.