On floating roots and fertilization

Soggy

Junior Poster
Jun 27, 2007
Does the amount of ferts we put into our tank determine whether stem plants form floating roots?

more specifically, has it been determined what causes stem plants to form floating roots?

Im curious because the rotalas at my lfs have very minimal floating roots while they root profusely in my tank. :confused:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
I think it is a FACTOR, but not the direct cause.

I have seem many of my stems do this. I think it indicates good growth. The stems usually break apart at these rooted nodes to float away and form elsewhere.

Rotala, hygros, and ludwigia all do this profusely.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I've seen lots of roots in oligotrophic systems, eg Lake Tahoe, Lake Tamarack in the Sierra granite basins, plenty of of water column roots.
Far leaner than anyone's aquarium could even hope to be.

Most aquatic plants do this, Swords, Crypts do it, if they got roots, they put them out in the water column in most cases.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Healthy Indicator!

Soggy;43522 said:
Does the amount of ferts we put into our tank determine whether stem plants form floating roots?

more specifically, has it been determined what causes stem plants to form floating roots?

Im curious because the rotalas at my lfs have very minimal floating roots while they root profusely in my tank. :confused:

Hi,

I have always taken it to be healthy growth. :)

Biollante

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
That Is How They Roll

Soggy;43797 said:
but its so unsightly especially with ludwigias.

Hi,

That is how Ludwigias roll, they are swamp plants most grow emerged, many for a reason call them Creeping Primrose, wherever a stem touches wet ground they send down roots and appear to ‘creep’.

Assuming your Ludwigias are Ludwigia repens, Red Ludwigia, they grow submerged and will happily grow right out the top of your tank, all the while sending bushy root on down from just about every node trying to get into the substrate. As the plant matures, the roots will be primarily from the lower nodes. ;)

Personally, I trim them so they grow in as bushes, anything you trim, you can, of course, replant the cuttings. Treating them as a group or bush takes the emphasis off the unsightly roots.:)

If you wish to have them grow up to or beyond the water line, plant a fairly tight bunch and trim regularly and it should grow into a really spectacular (with reasonable light) red and green bush.:)

Biollante