old topic ..cow with PH and spraybar

newtothis

Junior Poster
Apr 30, 2009
I know this is old...sorry....I've Been reading threads and articles all day, some dating back to 2005 about this.. but...

Currently I'm running diy co2 through a powerhead input..producing a nice large mist cloud but even in the current made by my HOB filters and the PH the "mist cloud" only seems to cover half the tank.

If I were to get a large PH or pump and put co2 in inlet then attach a pvc spraybar to the powerhead, will this disperse my mist cloud more evenly around tank?

** LMAO...sorry bout the title typo... there is no cow with a spraybar here.... should say co2

Henry Hatch

Guru Class Expert
Aug 31, 2006
newtothis;36467 said:
I know this is old...sorry....I've Been reading threads and articles all day, some dating back to 2005 about this.. but...

Currently I'm running diy co2 through a powerhead input..producing a nice large mist cloud but even in the current made by my HOB filters and the PH the "mist cloud" only seems to cover half the tank.

If I were to get a large PH or pump and put co2 in inlet then attach a pvc spraybar to the powerhead, will this disperse my mist cloud more evenly around tank?

I think a spraybar attached to the power head would help. However, I do not like HOB filters in planted tanks. One of the reasons is that the direction of the output tends to be down which is why the mist does not reach the far side of the tank. Also HOB filters tend to cause more out gassing of co2. I like canister filters for planted tanks.

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
Deflecting the current off the glass has been working for me lately. There's some loss of current strength, but the distribution seems superior. I should note that I'm running about 12GPH/gal, though.

-Philosophos

newtothis

Junior Poster
Apr 30, 2009
thinking of ways to do this on the cheap...I tried the bouncing off the glass tecnique this morning and the spread of the mist is much much better. Still not even by any stretch but I think I can fine tune it. Thanks for the advice.

The only reason I run 2 HOB in this tank is because I have had canisters leak or fail before and came home to a lake. this tank is on my second floor and a leak here will be HUGE damage...specially cause my pool table is directly below the tank:D