This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Old Saltwater, Newb Plant Gal. Good Evening!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Squirkle, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Squirkle

Squirkle New Member

Local Time:
    8:08 AM
    Hi aquarium friends,

My name is Denise. I'm from SLC, Utah. I have been keeping reef tanks for the better part of 20 years. However, I have never kept a planted tank. Finally, all of the stunning images from skilled planted tank aquarists were simply too much to take so my son and I are starting a 24 gallon planted tank together! :)

So, jumping right into things: Do you all post build threads like we do in the reef world to track the progress of your tanks? Ah, got it: journals!

Please advise and thanks for making space for newbs! The pic is my 60 gallon display tank. :)

IMG_0177.jpg

#1 Squirkle, Mar 28, 2018
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
    Uncle_R and 1077#1 like this.
  2. Allwissend

Allwissend Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    4:08 PM
    Hello Squirkle, welcome to the forum. That is a very colorful saltwater setup. A freshwater planted aquarium has a lot more flexibility than saltwater aquarium but at the same time you have to be a little more involved in trimming the "weeds". Most saltwater aquarists are a little bit shocked when starting a planted aquarium and see us adding all that NO3, PO4 etc to the tank.

There are many aspects that need to be sorted out (light, filter, substrate, CO2, plants, fertilizers, etc), but it's a great time you should enjoy. I recommend posting in the appropriate forum section to get more responses. Also might want to start reading the stickies and articles available here, like this one:
    http://www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/estimative-index/117-the-estimative-index-of-dosing-or-no-need-for-test-kits

3. Squirkle

Squirkle New Member

Local Time:
    8:08 AM
    Excellent! Thanks for the info! Yes, it will be a 180 degree turn for me to add nitrates instead of fighting to get them down to almost nothing! I'm going to start a build thread (journal) for what I've got worked out so far.

Good to meet you!

Allwissend likes this.
Tags: