This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Ocean Clear & Flow rate for 120

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Mark Lem, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Mark Lem

Mark Lem Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    Hi All
    Have used the search function for an hour but can't find info...

120 (4x2x2 foot) gal high tech plant tank. Looking into Ocean Clear (or Nu-Clear) mechanical and bio canisters.

Have no idea what flow rate I should have circulating around the plants... considering Iwaki pump for ocean clears...

What's difference between Japanese & American Iwaki pumps in real terms?

Suggestions for amount of flow in my tank?

Thanks in advance...

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:17 PM
    Hi,

Some depends on the size/model of the filter in question.

I would suggest a pump that is 10X your tank volume, as even at 2-4' head height, you will lose a lot of flow.

For plants, you want a current/flow strong enough to get every leaf moving a bit. This assures that c02 and nutrients are available to each leaf.

Also, keep in mind that as your plants grow (more bio-mass) you will need MORE flow to get the same effect as before.

I do not know the diff between the two pumps.

Hope this helps.

3. mrkookm

mrkookm Guest

Local Time:
    10:17 AM
    The Japanese pumps supposedly has better motors which runs cooler, are more reliable and offers higher head/flow capability beyond 1200GPH.