This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Support us by upgrading to the lifetime advertisement free version.

Click here for more information.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nutrient levels test kit

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by Garrett Beck, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Garrett Beck

Garrett Beck Junior Poster

Local Time:
    6:56 AM
    Hello everyone,

I'm new to the Barr Report and this is my first post. I've been into the panted aquariums for a little less than a year and have jumped in with both feet. My question is; Are there any "master" test kits for panted aquariums (for nutrient levels)? If not, which individual test kits should I get or be most concerned with. I'm most interested in tests that tell me if I need to raise or lower my fertilizer dosing until I become more familiar with what specific plant deficiencies look like.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions,

Garrett

2. Garrett Beck

Local Time:
    I've been reading a lot of Tom's articles and see he doesn't put much stock into test kits (as a lot seem to be inaccurate). I already do the fairly large waterchange weekly so that part of the EI method I'm good with. So now I just have to figure out what to dose weekly (daily?) and how much to dose per tank without spending my whole paycheck on ferts. On to more research!

Garrett

3. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
  4. rajkm

rajkm Article Editor
    Staff Member Lifetime Member Article Editor

Local Time:
    If you are planning to follow EI dont worry about nutrient levels. At least at start.

the only test I would recommend is the PH and KH/GH test kit to know what pH to target for your kH levels for CO2 and GH to know if you need to use a GH booster. Also it comes in handy if you plan to make changes to your water like mixing RO. You can get the API one for those.

5. Garrett Beck

Local Time:
    Thanks for the suggestions and links! This may be a stupid question, but please bear with me, I've never used dry ferts before. When you add dry ferts to your water column, do you dissolve it in some tank water 1st or just add straight to the tank?

6. Christophe

Christophe Subscriber
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Probably best to dissolve it first in tank water, or make up dosing solutions that last a few weeks at a time.

Keep micros separate from macros -- together in high concentration, they precipitate and you lose the effectiveness of your stuff.

7. gnovince

gnovince Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:56 AM
    I usually just use a small tupperware container and mix my dry ferts with some tank water of the tank I'm going to put into. I like testing myself. Gives me something to do...haha! But I own (whether they are accurate or not who knows) a Nitrate, Phosphate, and Ph test kits. I like to use tests and then do a 50% water change and then see the results. Piece of mind I guess. Besides Gh/Kh most other items are either too hard to test or need special equipment.

#7 gnovince, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2017