This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nutrient Deficiency

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rs18alpha, Jun 16, 2018.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    12:11 AM
    Does any one know why this plant looks like this?
    I purchased it on ebay, the seller called it Hygrophila sp. low grow.
    It has a bright green color with a little pink on top.
    The plant is growing well but some of the older leaves and some of the top leaves get holes and become transparent as well. And then they sort of melt away.

I dose EI
    KNO3 7.5 ppm per dose
    KH2PO4 1.3 ppm
    K2SO4 2.6 ppm
    CSM+B 0.3 ppm for the Iron

50% WC once week

I hope the pictures are good enough??

6-16-18 849.JPG

6-16-18 859.JPG

6-16-18 860.JPG

6-16-18 861.JPG

2. soham

soham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi,
    I have the same problem with my Rotala leaves. Mostly in old leaves, also in new ones. I guess it's either magnesium deficiency or too much trace. I haven't added Mg in last couple of weeks but I doubt it's lower than 2 ppm. My water is quite soft with KH of 2 and GH 4. Iron level in water coloumn is around 0.6 ppm. I don't know if this becomes toxic at low pH (6.2). Looking for an explanation.

3. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    This ca be bad flow / circulation , also poor co2 values and flow in the tank

If you dose EI there is no chance that you have a nutrient deficiency

4. soham

soham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I provide excellent flow, 40+ ppm Co2. The transparent irregular patches appeared very fast on the leaves, within a couple of days. It's both on old and new leaves, I doubt it's a particular deficiency. I have dosed 5 ppm Mg yesterday. Let's see if it alleviates the problem. If not, I will try to decrease iron level. I will keep the thread updated.

5. Solcielo lawrencia

Local Time:
  6. soham

soham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I can confirm that this symptom appears before the beginning of iron dosing. I setup a new tank recently and such transparent patches appeared on my Rotala before I started dosing any micro fertilizer. I am maintaining low KH and my nitrate level was high from the beginning around 30-40 ppm. Ammonia is about 0.5 ppm now after water changes. I am maintaining 6-7 ppm Mg and around 30 ppm Ca. This symptom is no way initiated by Fe dosing. Neither it is a deficiency of Mg. My best guess is there is something about the ration of nitrate and calcium present in the water. My nitrate is still around 20 and today I have upped my calcium to around 60. Let's see what happens. (My tap water is very hard and I was using very cheap bottled water to reduce the hardness, so I don't know if there is excess sodium present which might cause this).

#6 soham, Dec 10, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2018
  7. soham

soham Junior Poster

Local Time:
    This is how my rotala looks

IMG_20181203_094906.jpg

8. jerryknott

jerryknott New Member

Local Time:
    4:41 AM
    I am agree with the comments above..

9. Julia Adkins

Julia Adkins aquariumfertilizer.com
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I don't see any source of calcium in the nutrients you are using. Calcium is a structural macromineral important for making leaves and stems. Just like it is used for the framework of people and animals. You could use water-soluble dolomite which would add magnesium also.

10. skija

skija Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    In the picture in post #7 i can see BBA , GSA and hail algae , which leads to CO2 issue .

Also rotala shown in post #7 has pale new growth and transparent leaves which is again co2 issue