This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Not dosing KNO3

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Jeremy1, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    12:56 AM
    So I have omitted dosing any KNO3 in my EI regimen and use K2SO4 for my potassium source. I have noticed much better coloration in my reds. W will this eventually lead to algae problems? I have been dosing this way for 3 weeks, so far so good. I do occasionally add 1/64 tsp of KNO3 about twice a week just to make sure I am not totaly deficient. What kinds of algae can I enduce with low to zero nitrates? This is a high light tank with good CO2 and filtration,circulation.

Thanks

#1 Jeremy1, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I can't predict much except that sooner or later a deficiency is going to develop, if it has not already, that will EVENTUALLY cause the plants to suffer. Regardless of algae, I think this is a long term concern...

I understand that reduced K can produce this effect but IMO only, this is not worth it long term if it causes the plant to act DIFFERENTLY than OPTIMAL.

Keep an eye on your c02 and the rest of the plants for any signs of poor growth or algae....

Remember that plants take time to adapt to conditions where I think it likely that algae can adapt quicker....

So, even though the plants 'look' fine and beautiful, an issue may have already arisen..

Hope this makes sense. Just my 2 cents and opinions only...

3. mathman

mathman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Is there any reason why you have decided to opt out KNO3 from the EI method? Do you have an overcrowded tank or possibly overfeeding allowing you to have enough KNO3? Maybe you can still add some but not as much...I am new to this but I am learning and just voicing my opinion. :)

4. Jeremy1

Jeremy1 Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    By limiting nitrates and upping phosphates a lot of pigmented plants will show more deep coloration. I have noticed a big difference in my limnophila aromatica, Ludwigia glandulosa, Polygonum sp. 'Kawagoeanum', ludwigia brevipes, and Proserpinaca palustris.