This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob trying the non-co2 method, little help

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by symon_say, Mar 26, 2011.

1. symon_say

symon_say Junior Poster

This is my first post here, but i have been reading and learning for a few weeks, i'm from Dominican Republic, i have been into fish keeping for just a few month and everything is fine with my fish, haven't lost any fish after the noob mistake i made when i start, i did what i think was a really nice aquascaping with fake plants when i set my aquarium, but now i'm trying real plants, and i think the non-co2 method is perfect to start with.

My tank is a little overstocked, i just have small community fish, tetras, corys, livebearers, etc, i have bought a bunch of plants and plant then today, i get the seachem EQ that Mr. Barr recommends and i'm waiting for the macros to arrive this week.

- Should i do any adjustments to the doses Mr. Barr recommend given that i'm overstock??
    - If yes what should it be??
    - The fish stock i have is ok, to skip water changes??
    - Any other thing i need to know will be really appreciated

Tank is a 55 gallon, with 8 13W CFL in the stock reflector, with 2 filters aquaclear 70 and aqueon 55.

Fish are 11 Glo fish, 5 honey gourami, 6 bronze cory, 10 panda cory, 1 lyretail sworfish, 11 male guppy, 3 zebra nerite snails, 20 neon tetra.

The plants i purchase are: Rotala sp., Dwarf hygrophila, Marsilea minuta, Lindernia rotundifolia, peacock moss, tenellus micro red/pink, Java fern, HM (Pearl Weed), green lotus, sprite baby plants, penny wort, Ludwiga Glandulosa, rotala singapore, rotala macandra, ludwiga guinea, dwarf hairgrass, tonina belem, lindernia sp India, echinodorus vesuvius, polygonum praeterissum ruby, althenanthera reinickli, Sphaerocaryum malaccense, mini pelia, Corkscrew Vallisneria, anacharis and cabomba.

This is the tank when i originally set it with the fake plants:
    [​IMG]

2. dutchy

dutchy Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Hi,

You can use the dosing as suggested. There is a possibillity that you fish and the feeding will provide enough nutrients for the plants, but this is uncertain.

The overstock is not that bad, so don't worry about that.

Don't buy to muy different species of plants, it will look cluttered. A general rule is one plant species for every 4 inch of tank length. But of course, you're the one looking at the tank, if you like it, nothing wrong with that.

Don't use more than an 8 hour photoperiod. If you get algae, reduce the light intensity.

3. symon_say

symon_say Junior Poster

Thanks, i bought all those plants in package from another forum, but when they grow i'll re-scape, and move some to my other tanks. Right now i have 6 hour photoperiod cause i'm getting some diatom, that i wait nerite snails take care of, i'll make up to 8 hours after everything is a little more set.

And is my lighting ok for this method??

#3 symon_say, Mar 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2011