Noob Question on CSM+B

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
Just got my first batch of ferts and the CSM+B has small white clumps. They're easily broken but the overall mixing isn't as complete as perhaps it should be considering the small 1/4 tsp doses I'll be using.

I was wondering if there was a valid reason NOT to use something like a powered coffee mill (dedicated of course) to run the stuff through to get a more homogenious blend?

Pat

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Overkill?

pat w;47046 said:
Just got my first batch of ferts and the CSM+B has small white clumps. They're easily broken but the overall mixing isn't as complete as perhaps it should be considering the small 1/4 tsp doses I'll be using.

I was wondering if there was a valid reason NOT to use something like a powered coffee mill (dedicated of course) to run the stuff through to get a more homogenious blend?

Pat

Hi Pat,

I cannot think of any reason a coffee mill would not work. ;)

Kind of overkill though, stir it around with a fork maybe. :rolleyes:

Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Bio,

Overkill ?!? :confused:

Of course it's overkill.:rolleyes: I just love power tools, and this may be the only chance to use one in connection with this hobby.

Glad to hear from you. Last I heard you're health was less than 100%. I ment to drop a get well post but the thread was closed down.

Hang in, bud
Pat

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
A Cup of CSM+B While Dosing Coffee To My Tanks

Hi Pat,

Thanks I am doing better.

I have used flour sifters, hand electric mixer or a rock tumbler, to mix dry ingredients. :)

Stock solutions are the simple answer to consistency of dosing, particularly when small doses are required. ;)

However, I have to admit I am becoming a fan of ‘inconsistent dosing’ or dosing ‘on average’ a variation on ‘pulsing’. :gw

Biollante

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
I typically use the "Dosing When I Remember" method so I add a little extra to even it out. :D

-
S

Biollante;47066 said:
Hi Pat,

Thanks I am doing better.

I have used flour sifters, hand electric mixer or a rock tumbler, to mix dry ingredients. :)

Stock solutions are the simple answer to consistency of dosing, particularly when small doses are required. ;)

However, I have to admit I am becoming a fan of ‘inconsistent dosing’ or dosing ‘on average’ a variation on ‘pulsing’. :gw

Biollante

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Oh, Crap

You mean there's memory involved.

I'm screwed!:p

Really, when I saw the bag you could allmost count the different ingredients. I don't blame anyone. When I did a dry batching system for one of the big dogfood mfg.'s we weren't allowed to let the blended recipe to sit for more than 30 min without remixing. I had to put a special timer in the program just for that. Just run of the mill plant vibrations would cause the different weighted ingredients to start to seperate, so I kind of expected something like this.

I didn't want to get into mixing stock solutions so I guess I'll just mix it up best I can and weigh up a week' worth at a time in three little bottles I have.

Thanks
Pat

Tug

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 5, 2009
Washington, DC
H E Double Toothpicks

pat said:
Oh, Crap
You mean there's memory involved.
I'm screwed!:p
Me too. For those reasons.
Anyway, sounds like a good plan for measuring weekly dose. I would like to see a day bags come with a ziplock seal, for any time and all the time I open one. There is a cheese merchant having something they use. Air sealed package, cut open and the bag is resealed using a ziplock. I could ask them. Maybe get some moisture-sorb. Nice thing for a plantex vendor to offer, maybe.

Last edited by a moderator: