This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Noob Question on CSM+B

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plant Fertilization' started by pat w, Feb 23, 2010.

1. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    10:08 PM
    Just got my first batch of ferts and the CSM+B has small white clumps. They're easily broken but the overall mixing isn't as complete as perhaps it should be considering the small 1/4 tsp doses I'll be using.

I was wondering if there was a valid reason NOT to use something like a powered coffee mill (dedicated of course) to run the stuff through to get a more homogenious blend?

Pat

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Overkill?

Hi Pat,

I cannot think of any reason a coffee mill would not work. ;)

Kind of overkill though, stir it around with a fork maybe. :rolleyes:

Biollante

3. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Bio,

Overkill ?!? :confused:

Of course it's overkill.:rolleyes: I just love power tools, and this may be the only chance to use one in connection with this hobby.

Glad to hear from you. Last I heard you're health was less than 100%. I ment to drop a get well post but the thread was closed down.

Hang in, bud
    Pat

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A Cup of CSM+B While Dosing Coffee To My Tanks

Hi Pat,

Thanks I am doing better.

I have used flour sifters, hand electric mixer or a rock tumbler, to mix dry ingredients. :)

Stock solutions are the simple answer to consistency of dosing, particularly when small doses are required. ;)

However, I have to admit I am becoming a fan of ‘inconsistent dosing’ or dosing ‘on average’ a variation on ‘pulsing’. :gw

Biollante

5. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I typically use the "Dosing When I Remember" method so I add a little extra to even it out. :D

-
    S

6. pat w

pat w Member

Local Time:
    Oh, Crap

You mean there's memory involved.

I'm screwed!:p

Really, when I saw the bag you could allmost count the different ingredients. I don't blame anyone. When I did a dry batching system for one of the big dogfood mfg.'s we weren't allowed to let the blended recipe to sit for more than 30 min without remixing. I had to put a special timer in the program just for that. Just run of the mill plant vibrations would cause the different weighted ingredients to start to seperate, so I kind of expected something like this.

I didn't want to get into mixing stock solutions so I guess I'll just mix it up best I can and weigh up a week' worth at a time in three little bottles I have.

Thanks
    Pat

7. Brian20

Brian20 Guest

Local Time:
    4:08 PM
    I also dose when I remember.: Each week or week and half.

8. Tug

Tug Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    H E Double Toothpicks

Me too. For those reasons.
    Anyway, sounds like a good plan for measuring weekly dose. I would like to see a day bags come with a ziplock seal, for any time and all the time I open one. There is a cheese merchant having something they use. Air sealed package, cut open and the bag is resealed using a ziplock. I could ask them. Maybe get some moisture-sorb. Nice thing for a plantex vendor to offer, maybe.

#8 Tug, Feb 25, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 25, 2010