This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

non-CO2 (Walsted) and Fe dosing

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by workitout, Nov 13, 2008.

1. workitout

workitout Junior Poster

Local Time:
    12:06 PM
    Hi everyone, I am just beginning to set up a new 55gal low-light, non-CO2 tank using Tom's method of non-CO2 tanks (adapted from Walsted).

Lighting: two 34W T-8 bulbs resting on the rim an inch or two from the water surface.
    Substrate: Soilmaster Select
    Ferts: unkown as of yet.
    NO CO2
    NO regular water changes

tank will house typical low-light plants: java fern, dwarf sags, moneywort, anubias, etc.

fish: 3-4 angels, 3-4 german blue rams, 10 harlequin rasboras, 6 ottos

So, my question is about dosing. Since I am using SMS as my substrate, it doesn't contain any Fe. In Tom's explanation of this method (http://www.barrreport.com/estimative-index/2817-non-co2-methods.html), Seachem Equilibrium is used, which has some Fe in it. I also plan to do KNO3 and KH2PO4, as Tom describes.

Will the Fe contained in Eq be sufficient for low plant growth given that my substrate does not contain any, or will plants develop insufficiencies?

Also, Seachem suggests against using Equilibrium in this method of no water changes:
    Does anyone else have experience with this system of no water changes?

2. workitout

workitout Junior Poster

Local Time:
    sorry, double post

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    While there are no water changes............there is still quite a bit of sequestering and export.

Plants take up the nutrients and sequester it/store it till you prune.

The the idea.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

4. workitout

workitout Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I see, that makes sense as to why despite not using RO or DI water you add the Equilibrium to replace evaporated water.

Tom, do you think that the Seachem Equilibrium will have enough Fe to support slow healthy growth despite my substrate not containing any to begin with?