This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

non-CO2 tank and shrimp

Discussion in 'Inverts' started by tedr108, Feb 4, 2009.

1. tedr108

tedr108 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:35 PM
    Well, I've had a nice, easy-to-maintain 20G non-CO2 tank for about 4 to 5 months. It's been great not having to do water changes at all and only pruning once or twice a month. I started out with 21 galaxy rasboras (Celestial Pearl Danios for some of you) and a few nerite snails. I did a very light EI fertilizing -- my nitrates would go down to zero if I backed off of fertilizing for a week or two. All was as I had hoped.

However, I had a very small amount of thread algae on the plants near the surface. So, I thought, "Hey, I'll get a few shrimp." I went out and bought 6 tiger shrimp. No algae anywhere in a short time. A few months later... I now have about 50 tiger shrimp (damn little rabbits). I'm no longer dosing KNO3 and I started checking my nitrates, which have been slowly building and are now somewhere around 50 to 60ppm. (And, Hoppy, before you ask...YES, I did calibrate my nitrate test kit! :)) Looks like my bioload is now too much, and I'm back to having to do water changes. Long term, I think I'll go to Amano shrimp and take the tigers back to the LFS.

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    8:35 PM
    :D :D :D Good Show!