Non CO2 methods

Status
Not open for further replies.

milesm

Prolific Poster
Oct 18, 2006
tom,

ok. i'll defer to your knowledge and experience. i pm'ed you for info about buying the filter.

i'm curious: would the problems relate to the production/accumulation of nh4? would mulm reduce cycling time? would turface (uncapped) from an established tank suffice? i have enough to use in the 2.5 from another tank that's been running for about 6 months.

btw, how far into the tank does that filter jut? thanks.

milesm

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
The Palm filter doesn't really jut into the tank. It has a half inch diameter inlet pipe, transparent, that goes down into the tank. The top of the filter sits out of the water, with most of it behind the tank, and only the flow channel hanging over the edge of the tank. Here is what it looks like.
nanotank.jpg

turbomkt

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
San Diego, Ca
I'd have to say the Azoo Palm (as well as all of the other almost identical "palm" filters) are nice. I ran one with nothing but ceramic on my betta tank for quite a while. It was just nice to have a little extra space for bacteria.

I also have 5 of the lights in Hoppy's picture ;)

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
That light is only $20 at Home Depot, and is a 20 watt, 4 parallel tube CF bulb, with a nice color temperature. It seems perfect for a desk nano tank, although it does take up more room on the desk.

Sleepy_lancs

Junior Poster
Apr 11, 2005
Hi Tom,

Just to do a quick check to ensure what I understand is correct:

For all Low Maintenance Tank (Non-CO2)

We add weekly 1/4 tsp of SeaChem EQ, 1/8 tsp of KNO3 & 1/32 tsp of KH2PO4 per 20 US Gal tank?

That would mean that for 100 Gal tank consisting of 1/5 of Java ferns and 4/5 of crypt with peat moss and JBL Aquabasis Plus as base fertiliser will be 1.25 tsp of EQ, 0.625 tsp of KNO3 and 0.156 tsp of KH2PO4 weekly? Lighting is 4 x 55watts PL Lights for 8 hours

Would that be the same dosing bases for a 43 Gal tank consisting of all nanas with only JBL Aquabasis Plus as based fertiliser? EQ = 1/2 tsp, KN03 = 1/4 tsp, KH2PO4=1/16 weekly? Lighting is 2 x 30 watts FL Lights for 10 hours.

And I do not add addition Fe or trace?

Any other things that I should take note?

Thanks in advance

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You can add a little Fe if you want, seems to help if you add a little every so often, maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

Status
Not open for further replies.