This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Non Co2 Methods

While much of the attention and aquascape seen on the web focuses on CO2 enrichment in their methods, Diana Walstad presents an excellent argument...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. milesm

milesm Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    9:02 PM
    tom,

ok. i'll defer to your knowledge and experience. i pm'ed you for info about buying the filter.

i'm curious: would the problems relate to the production/accumulation of nh4? would mulm reduce cycling time? would turface (uncapped) from an established tank suffice? i have enough to use in the 2.5 from another tank that's been running for about 6 months.

btw, how far into the tank does that filter jut? thanks.

milesm

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The Palm filter doesn't really jut into the tank. It has a half inch diameter inlet pipe, transparent, that goes down into the tank. The top of the filter sits out of the water, with most of it behind the tank, and only the flow channel hanging over the edge of the tank. Here is what it looks like. [​IMG]

3. milesm

milesm Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    thanks hoppy.

it looks it has a nice slim profile.

4. turbomkt

turbomkt Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I'd have to say the Azoo Palm (as well as all of the other almost identical "palm" filters) are nice. I ran one with nothing but ceramic on my betta tank for quite a while. It was just nice to have a little extra space for bacteria.

I also have 5 of the lights in Hoppy's picture ;)

5. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    That light is only $20 at Home Depot, and is a 20 watt, 4 parallel tube CF bulb, with a nice color temperature. It seems perfect for a desk nano tank, although it does take up more room on the desk.

6. Sleepy_lancs

Sleepy_lancs Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Tom,

Just to do a quick check to ensure what I understand is correct:

For all Low Maintenance Tank (Non-CO2)

We add weekly 1/4 tsp of SeaChem EQ, 1/8 tsp of KNO3 & 1/32 tsp of KH2PO4 per 20 US Gal tank?

That would mean that for 100 Gal tank consisting of 1/5 of Java ferns and 4/5 of crypt with peat moss and JBL Aquabasis Plus as base fertiliser will be 1.25 tsp of EQ, 0.625 tsp of KNO3 and 0.156 tsp of KH2PO4 weekly? Lighting is 4 x 55watts PL Lights for 8 hours

Would that be the same dosing bases for a 43 Gal tank consisting of all nanas with only JBL Aquabasis Plus as based fertiliser? EQ = 1/2 tsp, KN03 = 1/4 tsp, KH2PO4=1/16 weekly? Lighting is 2 x 30 watts FL Lights for 10 hours.

And I do not add addition Fe or trace?

Any other things that I should take note?

Thanks in advance

7. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    You can add a little Fe if you want, seems to help if you add a little every so often, maybe once every 1-2 weeks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.