This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

non-CO2 lighting options for 75 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by JohnSC, Oct 27, 2009.

1. JohnSC

JohnSC Junior Poster

Local Time:
    10:19 PM
    Hi. I'm thinking of upgrading the lighting on my 75 gallon tank while staying in a non-CO2, low light range. I'm having trouble deciding what to do.

I currently have 110 watts of PC lighting in an All-Glass fixture with a boxy aluminum reflector. The tank is rather dim, but I like the GE 9235 lights that I use with it.

I'm having trouble deciding between the following options:

1) AH Supply 2x55w retrofit kit. This would keep me at 1.47 WPG, but put more light in the tank than my current reflectors.

2) Catalina 3x54w T5HO fixture. I would likely just run 1-2 bulbs, but have 3 available in case I need it in the future.

I'm not concerned with the cost differences between the 2 options. I like option 1 because I can continue to use the GE 9325 bulbs. I like option 2 because of the greater flexibility (run 1, 2 or 3 bulbs).

Would both of these options keep me in a low-light, non-CO2 range? I've done lots of reading over the past couple of weeks, but can't get a grip on this. My fear is that either option would be too much light and I'd have to add CO2. I've heard people say that one T5HO on a 75 gallon tank would be high light, and others say that it would be low.

I'm aware that adding CO2 would be helpful, but at the moment I can't afford it (maybe within the next 6 months). I've considered adding CO2 instead of upgrading the lights, but as I said the tank is dim and a bit depressing so I'd like to add more light to brighten things up.

My goal is to have a rather low-maintenance tank with some low-medium light plants, including some tall grassy plants like vals. I don't want to do anything fancy, just have some healthy plants and no algae.

I currently use flourite substrate and have some java ferns and crypts, as well as a school of 17 tiger barbs and a couple of other fish.

Sorry for the long post. Does anyone have any recommendations? Am I asking for algae problems with either option? What would you do?

Thanks!
    - John