This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Non-CO2 - EI - Excel Tank: Water Changes?

Discussion in 'Non-CO2 Methods' started by tgenega, Jan 29, 2014.

1. tgenega

tgenega Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:43 AM
    I'm unclear regarding water change recommendations for maintaining a non-C02 tank with EI and Excel dosing (40g). On the one hand - I've read that water changes are discouraged due to the resulting CO2 instability - yet my understanding is the EI methodology relies on weekly 50% water changes to hedge against excessive fertilizer build-up. (Even though non-CO2 EI dosing amounts are smaller and/or less frequent - I would think this principle still applies).

If the replacement water is obtained from the "hot" tap (presumably containing less dissolved CO2 than cold water) - and also allowed to stand for a week before used - would this alleviate the concern about a CO2 spike?

Tom G

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    With Excel, you modify things, cut the dosing to 1/3 to 1/4 of EI, then do a water change once a month, maybe 50-30% ranges.

With pure non CO2,no carbon enrichment, the rates of growth are reduced even farther, and some floating plants can mop up any excesses, so you can extend the method to 3-6 months, maybe more.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    With Excel, you modify things, cut the dosing to 1/3 to 1/4 of EI, then do a water change once a month, maybe 50-30% ranges.

With pure non CO2,no carbon enrichment, the rates of growth are reduced even farther, and some floating plants can mop up any excesses, so you can extend the method to 3-6 months, maybe more.

4. tgenega

tgenega Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Ok - thanks... I've been in the habit of doing weekly water changes for years - under high light conditions and no dosing, no CO2, and I guess what could be called "medium" fish load - but now I want to see if low light and EI/Excel dosing will improve plant health - and if this can be done with only monthly water changes - that would be an added bonus...

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Yes, this should not be an issue, I'd start with weekly, then skip to 10-14 days frequencies, then see if you can get up to once a month, but do not neglect the tank care otherwise, that's the biggest issue I think.

6. laka

laka Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    What is a happy medium between keeping fish happy and water changes in a non CO2 tank?
    How would a school of cardinals or rummy nose fair with minimal water changes?
    Regards
    LAKA

7. Kathy328i

Kathy328i Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I have been very pleased with myself at keeping a school of cardinal tetras alive for over a year. I change out about 30% of my tank water every 2 to 3 weeks. I add excel and a fertilizer cocktail three times a week.

8. wildgreenyonder

wildgreenyonder Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Is this also the best way to fight BBA ,in non CO2 ,Non Excel tanks?Monthly water changes instead of weekly ,top-offs only ,supply enough ferts ,keep light low ,vacuum the bottom ,etc?

9. riverpat

riverpat Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I have had great success with keeping a variety of plants under medium light and following the suggested excel dosage with 1/3 EI. I would say its important to focus on the amount of light you are really getting and making height adjustments from there.

10. Crom

Crom Junior Poster

Local Time:
    It sounds like we have similar tanks.... low-med light, no-CO2..

I find it advantageous to do more smaller water changes than big ones.

I change about 15-20% once per week, and have never had any problems or felt a need to change more.

11. kevinmichael77

kevinmichael77 Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Sorry to chime in on this thread but I am starting up my medium tech excel tank this week and just had a few questions. I understand cutting the ei method down to a third to a quarter and dosing kno3 and kh2po4 every week or two along with equilibrium, but do you dose the excel everyday and do you just follow the recommended dosage?

The tank is a 40b and I have about a 24 inch 48w t5ho fixture hanging just above the tank (still wondering if this fixture will work). I will be using most likely all Ro/Di water and using an eheim 2217 filter. Substrate is Ada aquasoil that I've been doing a dsm with for 5 months. The plants I have ready to go are Stauro repens, Blyxa, fissidens, Hygro Compact, and pogostemon erectus.

Am I missing anything?

As always I appreciate the help and advice!