This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Noisy tank? Imminent failure?

Discussion in 'Articles' started by shoggoth43, Sep 8, 2009.

1. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    3:57 PM
    Ok, something really odd tonight that's got me having trouble sleeping. I'm in my living room and from the 45 gallon tall tank I keep hearing this tingk noise. It almost sounds like contracting metal but there's nothing like that near there. Putting my ear to the tank it's definitely coming from the tank, or something connected to it. Nothing I can tell from the filter. I've got a few discus in there, some serpae tetras, and sterbai corys. So the question is, are the fish somehow making the noise somehow or am I in danger of a tank failure? I can't seem to localize anything or see anything the fish might be doing to make the noise. I know some fish can make noise with their swim bladders but this one is a new on on me.

I'm wondering if I have to make an emergency tank purchase tomorrow.

-
    S

2. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Catastrophic failure is imminent

If you are still up reduce the water level now, as much as you can without endangering the fish.

If you cannot definitively identify the source of the sound you must assume catastrophic failure is imminent.

Better safe than sorry.

A step further is if you have or can get a large container like a Sterilite container or something. If there is a WalMart about after lowering the water in the tank, get a container and move the fish and critters move if possible a canister or hang on back filter with plants rock whatever.

Biollante

3. shoggoth43

shoggoth43 Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I had already dropped the level in the tank several inches just to be sure. I was also prepared to empty out my "emergency" tub and could throw the cannister filter hoses into that.

All that said I finally located the source of the noise. The discus were picking at the prefilter sponge. Every time one of them did it I could hear that metallic noise. Must be something in the suction they use or something. They didn't seem particularly hungry. It was just the wierdest thing and I've seen them pick at it and NEVER heard that before. Just to be sure I had my wife come in and sit down and just watch. Everytime the biggest one did it, TINGK. Then the little one in the tank, tingk. I even moved the whole intake tube a little to see if that helped. Nope. Tingk! Oddest damned thing I've seen them do in a while.

So now I have to be up in 4 hours after being up trying to figure out if I'm going to have a flood. Should make for a fun day. The fish have long since done to bed so no more tingk noises from the tank either. Go figure.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I think you were saying that you had done some experimenting on reactors vs. diffusors and found the reactors were a little more efficient. Can you give me any more details? Did any of that involve needle wheels or mazzei type injection? I'm definitely heading to 120 or 180 gallons by the end of the year so I need to figure some stuff out before I get there. :)

-
    S

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Fish Crazy Make Me

These fish will make you crazy.:eek:

A long time ago when the earth was young, I suffered a catastrophic failure of a 20-gallon high tank. Back in the day, they were metal framed and it started that way, the funny tachink, kind of sound and like a total nitwit I put my ear against the end just as, thankfully the side opposite me gave way, what a mess!:eek:

I think my experience with CO2 in general is pushing me toward reactors, but maybe more using the output of a reactor as the input of a needle-wheel or some other device. I guess the emphasis of my poking around over the years has led me to look for increased efficiency as much as anything else.

Not trying to be mysterious, I will share my findings as well as the madness to my method, I have hired a couple engineers to look at some data and a prototype to see if I am on the right track

CO2 ought not to be as difficult as it seems to be, CO2 actually easily dissolves into water. I think we were caught up in counting bubbles and for some; just watching bubbles became a hobby all its own.:rolleyes:

Though the solution, is well, the solution. Whatever means that most efficiently gets CO2 into solution without the use of lab grade equipment and right now that seems to be the counter-flow reactors.

I am going to gather my thoughts a bit and see if I can be a little more coherent.

Sometimes I get focused on a specific question and forget other people are reading the posts and trying to apply or make sense of something from their own experience or situation.

Anyway, I am glad you and your tank are okay.:)

Biollante