No3

C

csmith

I'm no expert, but I'd personally stick with KNO3. If you're going to use calcium I'd dose it seperately, makes it easier to focus just on the macros when you're dosing them.

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
No Expert I

Hi,

It really doesn’t matter each gram per 50 liters with CaNO3.4H2O you get about 11ppm NO3 and 3ppm of Calcium and with KNO3 about 12-PPM-NO3 and 8-ppm K. :)

As for the nitrate there is no inherent difference based on source. With Calcium nitrate you add both nitrate and calcium with Potassium nitrate you add both nitrate and potassium. :gw

Biollante

Wet

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 25, 2006
USA
Watch out with CaNO3, though: this could really be Calcium-Ammonium-Nitrate ("C.A.N."), especially if it is agricultural grade. (I experienced this problem with my Calcium Nitrate.) This can still be fine if you're running a high uptake tank or can manage the ammonium vs fish health and algae, but I'd recommend KNO3 and CaCl2 simply for the peace of mind and ease of dissolving, for what it's worth.

pat w

Nov 4, 2009
Daphne, AL (east Mobile Bay)
I'm dosing CaCl2 in the form of DowFlake Xtra. I have to buy 25 lb. bags of the stuff to raise the hardness of my swimming pool water. Be carefull when you mix it. It's exothermic with water (generates heat). I see about a 15 degree F rise when I mix 75 grams with 500 ml water.

Pat

dannyfish

Prolific Poster
Jan 6, 2010
Singapore
Wet;54424 said:
Watch out with CaNO3, though: this could really be Calcium-Ammonium-Nitrate ("C.A.N."), especially if it is agricultural grade. (I experienced this problem with my Calcium Nitrate.) This can still be fine if you're running a high uptake tank or can manage the ammonium vs fish health and algae, but I'd recommend KNO3 and CaCl2 simply for the peace of mind and ease of dissolving, for what it's worth.

i buy from aquariumfertilizer.com ..so should not be calcium ammonium rite?...

Biollante

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2009
Surprise, AZ
Truth In Labeling

Hi,

Calcium nitrate, Ca(NO3)2 from Planted Aquarium Fertilizer is fine, it is the tetrahydrate, Ca(NO3)2.4H2O. It would be nice if Planted Aquarium Fertilizer and other outlets would label the version of chemical they are selling. :)

While I also prefer the KNO3 and CaCl2 method, there is nothing wrong with dosing Ca(NO3)2.4H2O. :D

For every gram of Ca(NO3)2.4H2O you will add about 5-ppm of NO3 and 2-ppm of Ca per 100-liters of water. :gw

Biollante