This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

No CO2 = Sucess,.. 30PPM + CO2 = Sucess,.. 15PPM CO2 = Algae. Help me understand

Discussion in 'CO2 Enrichment' started by Whiskey, Oct 7, 2013.

1. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    7:21 PM
    This is something I've been pondering for a while, please help me understand.

The key to a successful aquarium is to limit the plants by light,.. meaning provide them with plenty of everything else so that the only thing that slows them down is the amount of light they get.

This means lots of nutrients, Ample CO2 and a light level that is consistent with the amount of time you want to spend trimming.

And! The NO CO2 low light tank also works, in this case you still provide ample nutrients, makes sure light is no more than is needed, and leave the tank alone taking care not to introduce C02 accidentally by things like water changes. (Excel is okay though)

But,.. the thing that does not work is 12PPM CO2, or unstable CO2, in that case you end up getting Algae regardless of light level or Nutrient level.

What is it about unstable or low CO2 that causes such an effect? Doesn't any amount of CO2 especially in a low light tank help the plants grow and therefore help beat algae back? What is it about low or unstable CO2 that gives Algae an advantage?

Thank you for helping me put the pieces together!
    Whiskey

2. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plants will adapt to stable conditions of CO2, meaning low, but if you go with CO2 enrichment, best to make sure there's ample amounts, not just part way.
    You end up confusing many species this way.
    Algae do not care.

3. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    Plants will adapt to stable conditions of CO2, meaning low, but if you go with CO2 enrichment, best to make sure there's ample amounts, not just part way.
    You end up confusing many species this way.
    Algae do not care.

4. Whiskey

Whiskey Member

Local Time:
    Aah,.. Can they not adapt to a stable lower level?

Or is the issue more that lower levels get used up around the plant leaves and theirfore they go from having C02 to not having it and spend all their energy converting from using one carbon source to the other?

Thank you!
    Whiskey

5. scottward

scottward Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    I've been talking to Tom in another thread about BBA having a preference of 5-20 ppm CO2, I guess with a reasonable amount if light too.