This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

No CO2 Carpet plants and general plant choice help.

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Samuel Bentley, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Samuel Bentley

Samuel Bentley Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:15 AM
    Hey guys decided to actually make the effort to join the forum (been a lurker for a while:p)

I'm heading down the No CO2 route with my 25L cube and I'm just wondering what sort of carpet plant I should go for? Light is 18W and an Azoo HOB Palmfilter will be taking care of water movement.

Heres a pic of layout (stuff at the back is some spare washed cat litter that was lying around that I chucked in) http://img715.imageshack.us/img715/3244/sam0134i.jpg

I'll be sticking some peacock moss (I think) on the wood up the middle and raising the substrate at the back. Will be using duckweed to help sort out algae and to lower my light a bit.

Substrate I haven't got a clue. I've got a load of cat litter lying around I could use with osmocote and top with sand or I could use soil like in my 220L topped with samd but I'm really unsure.

Will probably dose NPK and Trace weekly and I don't intend on water changes.

Would like to consider DSM HC with no other plants except the moss and maybe a couple of crypts but I'm dead neavous about that without CO2!

Cheers, Muel

#1 Samuel Bentley, Jun 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2011
  2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I think the HC may not do well going from emersed DSM to non c02. You may want to help bridge the gap with Excel (liquid carbon).

Your crypts will do fine w/o c02...

If you get a nice nutrient rich substrate it will make non c02 easier in the long run.. Less water column dosing as well..

3. Samuel Bentley

Local Time:
    I'm also considering using peacock/spiky moss as the main focus of the scape, as a carpet all over the aquarium leaving just the rocks exposed and maybe something like a narrow java fern or anubias growing on the wood as a centre piece?

Think I'll leave the HC until I can justify setting up CO2 since I'm not doing it on a small aquarium and I wont be moving the 220 to the new house (can stay at the mothers haha)

4. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    E. Tenellus Cannot Be Killed!

Hi Muel,

Gerry is of course, correct, HC without CO2 could be a problem, though in a 25 liter cube with good aeration you might pull it off.:confused:

If you prefer being sure of carpeting, Echinodoras tenellus will do very well. In a small tank managing the growth should not be a problem. :eek:

E. tenellus likes iron, in the substrate and in the water column. Osmocote Plus in top soil capped by sand should work well.:)

You are talking 25 liters (6 gallons), I recommend a weekly 50%, can’t be that big of a deal. Major weekly water changes really do improve your odds of success.:gw

[video=youtube;UyWkyHtsXDk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UyWkyHtsXDk&feature=player_embedded[/video]
    Biollante

5. Biollante

Biollante Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Huge Link? Well, Er, You Are... Well… Forgiven…

Hi Muel,

Peacock moss should be great for your purposes.:)

Taxiphyllum sp. "Peacock" is a fast grower, likes cooler temperatures.:gw

Still curious about the water change thing...:eek:

Biollante

6. Samuel Bentley

Local Time:
    Quality, I'm tempted to do a bit of a sand beech at the front too without any plants,
    raised peacock moss carpet with a nice centre piece java fern. Duckweed as a floater.

I'm intending on only doing top-offs and keeping stocking low. Doing this with all my tanks. Use plants to keep stable water conditions (inc CO2). It's something of a Diana Walstad approach with a tiny bit of technology involved. The only difference is that I'm not using soil in this 25l tank and will probably do a low dose of NPK/Trace weekly along with water top-offs (I need to molly-coddle something if I wont be having a big tank at the new place :p)

Oh yeah and the link looked a lot bigger before it got posted, had all the googlie bits on it ;)

#7 Samuel Bentley, Jun 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 26, 2011