No bubbles when solenoid cuts on

Firstman

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2008
Hi all,

I just received a used Milwaukee ma957 w/solenoid. Followed the instructions I found online and set it up. I am having trouble with no bubbles coming out when the solenoid cuts on in the morning. If I adjust it so that I get bubbles, then they won't stop coming out when solenoid cuts off. I have had (1) day where everything was ok. Cut on/off as supposed to and was happy. That was yesterday. And now today no bubbles this morning again. :mad:

Short version of what I am doing:Open regulator knob valve fully, open main tank valve fully, plug in solenoid, open needle valve, close regulator knob to approx. 10lb., unplug solenoid, attach tubing, plug in solenoid, and adjust.

Seems simple enough. As I am adjusting I can unplug the solenoid and the bubbles stop. Plug it in and they start again. Come in the next morning after they were supposed to be on for an hour. Nothing. I have almost had enough already.

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
I have the same setup, sounds like either the solenoid is bad or the needle valve is malfunctioning. You can take the needle valve off and clean it out real good, if that doesn't help try turning pressure up to 30 psi or so, mine seems to work more consistently at that pressure, although it's still not great:mad: I'm looking into the Sumo set up, put it on the Christmas wish list, we'll see how that goes...:D

Firstman

Junior Poster
Oct 3, 2008
abcemorse;41205 said:
I have the same setup, sounds like either the solenoid is bad or the needle valve is malfunctioning. You can take the needle valve off and clean it out real good, if that doesn't help try turning pressure up to 30 psi or so, mine seems to work more consistently at that pressure, although it's still not great:mad: I'm looking into the Sumo set up, put it on the Christmas wish list, we'll see how that goes...:D

I am new to pressurized CO2. How do you clean a solenoid?

abcemorse

Prolific Poster
Sep 8, 2008
Sorry, I was unclear, clean the needle valve, not the solenoid. If the solenoid is bad you pretty much gotta replace it. The needle valve can be cleaned by running it under water, blowing in it, maybe a gentle cleaning with small guage wire.

scottward

Guru Class Expert
Oct 26, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
Also have a look at your non-return valve (possibly integrated with the bubble counter). I had a problem with mine whereby no bubbles would come on when the solenoid kicked in. Turns out that the non-return valve was clogged up.

I'd actually be pretty sure that this is what it is - try bypassing it temporarily just as a test and see if gas flows.

Scott.