This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nitrates, how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by Socket, Jun 23, 2013.

1. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    2:03 AM
    Hoppy and I are currently having this discussion, as we know EI dosing covers all basis for most situations, and with the 50% weekly WC, we reset the process for the week.

My question is based on Nitrates, and how much is too much. I know Tom, you have talked about the differences of Nitrates from KN03 vs nitrates from the nitrifying process, and that KN03 is less "harmful".

My tap has 10-20pm Nitrates, and I understand how accurate test kits can be, so there is a range. After the weekly WC on EI dosing, where should my nitrates be? What is safe? Post water change, is being in the 100ppm range OK? Should I start making an effort to start my week at a much lower range?

2. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Let me add, BTW...

I have no deaths, my Amano shrimp are actually out and about more often today than usual. My fish seem fine, other than some gasping from fine tuning my CO2.

3. hbosman

hbosman Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    You might think about replacing the KNO3 in your dosing with K2SO4 for potassium since your nitrate supply could be sufficient.

4. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    I have been dosing K2SO4 with EI, I forgot to add that.

I went ahead and took my Kno3 from 1/2tsp 3x, to 1/8th TSP 3x, and will monitor my plants and Nitrates all week. If I need to move away from KNO3 altogether, will I still need more K if I am dosing 1/4tsp KSO4, and 1/4tsp KH2PO4 3x a week?

5. Yo-han

Yo-han Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    800 will be harmful for the most sensitive fish. But you can always swap the KNO3 for K2SO4.

#5 Yo-han, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 11, 2013
  6. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    I'd do 50:50 KNO3:K2SO4 instead with the Tap water.

This way just in case you run out of NO3 in the tap ever, this will provide some safety and the lower dose of KNO3 will provide some buffer, but.........even at the full 30 ppm a week if dose or more........I rarely ever hit 15-20 ppm.
    So 20-30 vs say 5-10 ppm is not that much different.

7. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    Thanks for the information Tom. I am trying HARD to not change more than one thing at once.

I did cut my KNO3, and sub'd K2SO4 inplace. My Staurogyn took an IMMEDIATE hit from this 2 week change, and started melting back. I went back to full EI dose of KNO3, and my Stauro has recovered about 90% of what it once was...slowly but surely.

Right now, I hadn't had the co2 and the lights coming on at different times. I picked up another timer, and just recently set that up. My pearling is happening MUCH quicker, and things like blyxa, that were not doing well, have perked up immensely.

8. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Sounds like a CO2, not a fert issue.

Maybe you were fine with the NO3..........and blaming it when it was really the CO2, you would not be the 1st person to do so........

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    Sounds like a CO2, not a fert issue.

Maybe you were fine with the NO3..........and blaming it when it was really the CO2, you would not be the 1st person to do so........

10. Socket

Socket Prolific Poster

Local Time:
    And I wouldn't be surprised.

I've come nearly full circle, from an ADA diffuser, to the UP! aqua inline diffuser, to building your style reactor.....

And am finally happy with my co2 enrichment.

I feel that with a 55 gallon, the other options just wouldn't let me hit the right level of CO2, and my light on the rim of the tank was BLASTING my tank with very, very, high light.