This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Unfortunately for Photobucket users, things have changed in a big way as of June 26th they are rolling out a $399 per year subscription fee for those who want to hotlink images from Photobucket’s servers to display elsewhere.
    This does not mean it only affects this site, It now means that billions of images across the Web now display an error message instead of the image in question. :(
    https://barrreport.com/threads/attention-photobucket-users.14377/
    Dismiss Notice

night lights?

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by travdawg, Mar 4, 2005.

1. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

Do they make tube lights for night viewing? If so, are they t8, t12, or PCs? I would like to have some night lighting in my tanks so I can see my fishies in the evening, but dont know what I should be looking for, & dont want to blow wads of dough.

2. JadeButterfly

JadeButterfly Guru Class Expert

Re: night lights?

i dunno if they make strip lights for night light....but if so, it probably would be pretty bright...

I suggest to go with LED night lights...

3. Tom Wood

Tom Wood Guru Class Expert

I have one of the triple LED (white) lights on both my 70 and my 90. If you really want to see the whole tank well, then maybe two would do better. If the inside of the light hood is painted white, then pointed up into the hood provides a nice even light.

http://autolumination.com/fixtures.htm (Scroll down)

They are made to run on 12 volt DC so a small wallwart is needed. The sticky back thing doesn't really work well, so plan on a different way to mount them. They are all-plastic, including the 'silver' ring.

TW

4. travdawg

travdawg Guru Class Expert

Wow, those are nice & cheap too. How did you power them?

5. Tom Wood

I used a wallwart, a plug/transformer. Looks like they sell those too now.

TW

6. AV8TOR

AV8TOR Junior Poster

I also have the autolumination set-up but I went with 2 blue (3-LED) on my 55. Awesome effect and great price.

The fish seem to love it too. The LED’s light seems to twinkle light on the bottom from the water movement a little like metal halides do.

7. Tom Wood

A few weeks after installing mine, I noticed a pair of very small, and very ugly, Corydoras nosing about the bottom. All head and no tail, a child only a mother could love. Dunno if the night lights led directly to love-making, but it might haved inspired them. :p

Other than that, there is also way less zooming about and crashing into things when the regular lights go out.

TW

8. Gill Man

Gill Man Prolific Poster

I got some of the moonlights from Drs.F&S all pre-wired and ready to be mounted, but after a few weeks, some lights were noticably dimmer than the others and at $30 each, I wasn't getting any more. I still use two of them on my 90 gallon acrylic tank and use museum putty (from Home Depot) to fix them in place at the edge of the opening on top of the tank. Great stuff, stands up to heat from MHs and dousing from water. Good for many uses around the household as well. You can even use it to keep wiring in place...just roll up a wad like gum and stick it where you want it! Comes off clean too.

Moonlights are definitely beneficial for both the viewer and the viewee.

Museum putty! It works!