Nice massive intertwined root system

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I found a nice root system today looking for another spot for driftwood. I will need to hire some kids to help, But I should be able to pull it up and out and onto the truck.
Very well aged and cool piece. Pictures will come a bit later. I've seen some nicer redwood root systems like this, but this is smaller, more compressed/flattened and closer than those.

BellinghamFish

Prolific Poster
Jan 26, 2013
If I wasn't in Washington I'd gladly be one of those kids sounds awesome! What size tank would you say it will fit? I know you don't want to give up your secrets but what makes an acceptable wood to put in our tanks? Is there anything that grows in western Washington that's interesting?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
puopg;114559 said:
When do you need some assistance? :)

Are you a part time Lumberjack? That's about the only help I'll need, it's going to take a bit of work to cut it off the main tree.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
BellinghamFish;114563 said:
If I wasn't in Washington I'd gladly be one of those kids sounds awesome! What size tank would you say it will fit? I know you don't want to give up your secrets but what makes an acceptable wood to put in our tanks? Is there anything that grows in western Washington that's interesting?

I took some fragments and they sank in less than a day, it's been exposed for perhaps a decade or more and is rock hard.
Cannot say much, I can look at wood and generally tell pretty fast if it will work or not.

Oaks/hardwoods, confiers etc. Conifers tend to be some of the best, cypress, pine (what this is/was), redwood root systems, Western Cedar etc.
Stuff will last forever.

puopg

Guru Class Expert
Nov 19, 2012
Sacramento
Tom Barr;114568 said:
Are you a part time Lumberjack? That's about the only help I'll need, it's going to take a bit of work to cut it off the main tree.

LOL I thought this was moving a stump. NVM .

TactusMortus

Junior Poster
Dec 5, 2011
Pine Trees

Place next to me recently tore down a nice size patch of pine trees. They have dug up the root systems and all in prep for upcoming construction. Would it be worthwhile to grab a few pieces of these roots? Or considering they were live trees up until now would they simply rot? I live near the green swamp so the roots were likely consistently sitting in moisture.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
puopg;114574 said:
LOL I thought this was moving a stump. NVM .

I have a small little hand saw, you can use that. I'll drop you off, I'll come back in 3 days when you are done:)
Pack a lunch and a tent.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
TactusMortus;114598 said:
Place next to me recently tore down a nice size patch of pine trees. They have dug up the root systems and all in prep for upcoming construction. Would it be worthwhile to grab a few pieces of these roots? Or considering they were live trees up until now would they simply rot? I live near the green swamp so the roots were likely consistently sitting in moisture.

Old dense long dead material is best when it comes to conifers.
Fresh or even close to fresh is not a wise thing.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
puopg;114640 said:
Challenge accepted

Ah, I set the bar too low, I'll give you a dull knife instead and a box of hardtack. hehe

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
BellinghamFish;114751 said:
I'm guessing its a no-no to take beach wood from the ocean?

If it's on the beach, it will float, that's how it got there after being at sea for some time.
If it's at the mouth of a river, then it may have been washed down and be okay.