This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Nh4+ Vs No3-

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by barturas, Jan 4, 2019.

1. barturas

barturas New Member

Local Time:
    3:30 PM
    Hello, just thinking about mixing my own NKP.
    I want to try to add some NH4NO3 along with KNO3, but wanted to know how should I calculate the real equivalence of NH4 to NO3. I use to make NPK without NH4 and usually had a dose, let's say single spray, adding 0.5ppm of NO3 to my aquarium. N in NO3 is only 23%, so that means I actually add ~0.12ppm of N.

In case of adding NH
    4, N is about 78%

Based on
    barr report analysis of ADA Brighty Special Lights (sorry no links are allowed for me yet but could be found googling "ada green brighty composition") N coming with NO3 ~1003.4 ppm (average NO3 readings 4362.5ppm x 23%) and N coming with NH4 ~671 ppm (average readings 860 ppm x 78%) so tham means that 40% of all N is coming with NH4.

My questions are: has anyone any experience mixing NPK not only from KNO3 but also with NH4NO3 ?

Is my evaluation of overall N accessible to plants correct and logical?

2. KeeperOfASilentWorld

Local Time:
    2:30 PM
    Quoting BarrReport's article "Nitrogen Cycling in Planted Aquariums":

"NH4+ preference was observed at levels between 2.0 to 0.5ppm and NO3- preference when the NH4+ is less than 0.5ppm. At 0.1ppm NH4+, no NH4+ is removed in the presence of NO3-."

"There is a strong relation of high dissolved oxygen with low NH4+, allowing bacteria to oxidize the NH4+ and compete with the microphytes for this nutrient. Overloading with NH4+ produces a microphyte bloom. Adding high oxygen levels with pure oxygen did not prevent the microphyte green water algae bloom when NH4+ (at 0.5ppm) was dosed (Barr, 2003)."

"Having some fish waste or other sources of low level NH4, but not enough to stop NO3 uptake seems to be the best approach."

#2 KeeperOfASilentWorld, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2019