Newsletter downloads

LittleTinGod

Oct 4, 2015
Lubbock, TX
Thanks so much for doing this. I don't mind subscribing, but didn't realize when I did (there is no warning to new subscribers) most of the content wouldn't be available to me, so it was a little annoying. Can't wait to see it. Thanks again.

ChunkeyMunkey

Dec 2, 2015
I would have preferred to know about this issue before I subscribed as well as how the issue was going to be resolved. This is rather frustrating because I expected to be able to download PDFs for offline reading based on some of the posts in this category. Of course, the price is (probably) much less than what the content is worth, but the admins should know that the first experience of new subscribers is disappointment. Perhaps a warning should be added when someone attempts to subscribe and a sticky post made to clarify what people are actually paying for.

Ragnarok

Junior Poster
Nov 15, 2015
Jason said:
The only options are to turn the newsletters into articles that can only be read from the website based on user groups, its not fool proof but probably safer than a single file that can be shared easily? Yes subscribers can probably copy and past but means a lot of hassle for them to re create a page with images.
Just a note: There is no easy way to protect the online content. There is a lot of apps for downloading whole websites for offline browsing. Also there is a lot of apps for making screenshots of the whole page (with the scrolling). So you need just one single (subscribed) user who do it for you, save the result as PDF file, and share it on the web.

I think much better (and more correct from a scientific point of view) would be offer all the PDF files for free to all who are interested in it (especially if they are outdated), and raise the money via donations.

ChunkeyMunkey

Dec 2, 2015
Ragnarok said:
Just a note: There is no easy way to protect the online content. There is a lot of apps for downloading whole websites for offline browsing. Also there is a lot of apps for making screenshots of the whole page (with the scrolling). So you need just one single (subscribed) user who do it for you, save the result as PDF file, and share it on the web.

I think much better (and more correct from a scientific point of view) would be offer all the PDF files for free to all who are interested in it (especially if they are outdated), and raise the money via donations.

Despite the proven success of this model, most people are very uncomfortable with it because of its counter-intuitiveness. They understand the value of their product, but have an overly cynical belief about the number of honest and generous people who benefit from that value. Right now, the incentives are entirely in favor of subscribers seeking Barr's articles from other websites or just giving up on his articles entirely. I paid for a subscription and still have no idea what these articles even look like. Surely they are good and I want Barr to be paid for his work, but I'm starting to think I should insist on a refund.

This website has been such a bad experience.

ChunkeyMunkey

Dec 2, 2015
Thank you very much Jason. You've clearly been doing everything in your power to sort this out! Perhaps I was too quick to describe my experience so negatively.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Ragnarok said:

I've also thought about this and the open source idea and just throwing in the towel and doing more ads. The other option is to sell it and have a corporation manage things. Two other large plant web sites went that route for other reasons but I understand why they did.

So those are the 2 choices. We do not get much $ overall for the subscriptions. I get no $ from that or the ads but deal with the headaches. This is mostly a volunteer operation.

As such, I am leaning a bit this direction you suggest and then look at ads more. A few ads for any download etc.

UDGags

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 13, 2009
Kettering, Ohio, United States
My two cents

I used to be a Gold Member at TPT because I liked the content, people, etc. I didn't renew my subscription last month because I don't like the forum as much as time has gone by. I also joined here as here as a Lifetime Charter Member years ago because I liked the content and the in-depth science you see here compared to other sites. Joining at the cost I did was a no-brainer. This is one of the few websites with the in-depth science when it comes to aquariums. You get bits and pieces else where but in my eyes that's what sets this forum apart.

The issue is that searching the forums for information is not an easy task. There are some great discussions but they are hard to find. Ideally, I think a lot of the "facts" on stickies, etc. should be moved to a main website that has ads. Leave the forum ad free. I can't count how many times I reference simple things like the CO2/kH/pH chart, EI dosing levels, etc. I'm sure I'm not the only one. If you had a main website with different sections to catalog all this information and had some simple ads, I doubt many would complain. There are 14 stickies alone in the EI forum. I would think that these could be combined into one main EI page(s). Same goes for the other forums and newsletter topics. The Krib kind of had this with topics breakdown. These days people want information that is easy to find and straight forward. Searching forums is just not user friendly. I'd gladly help write up topics from various stickies if you ever go this route.

There also isn't much difference at the moment between members and non-members in terms of information. There are very few posts in the member only sections other than to ask Tom a direct question, which many can do in the normal forums, Facebook, TPT, private messages, etc. The one main incentive was the newsletters and those are mainly MIA.

I would definitely donate/pay yearly similar to TPT if that was the only option. The lifetime member was kind of a no-brainer when you break down the costs. I think as a business model that was a bad option for the website.

Reactions: 2 people

SwampGremlin

Jun 1, 2015
Cap Coral, Florida
i clicked the link and it said i was not authorized to view i log in again same thing . Do you have to be a life time member to view newsletter im just a yearly member atm.

gary-c

Subscriber
Oct 20, 2015
Hi Jason,

I used to see this link but now getting permission issue. Can you please help? Do you know if there is any new newsletter coming? Thanks.

Chee Pang

Aug 19, 2015
Hi All, I have just subsribed to a 1 Year Membership. How to I access to all the newsletter?

Myrio

Aug 10, 2015
Milan, IT
Hi!

I have been a subscriber since august, but I didn't have the time to read the few news letters that were available. Is there a way to read them?

PhilipS

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
May 10, 2014
GMT -700
I don't have a super tip top security clearance for the newsletter page :(

Wish I could get copies for my reader too. Maybe lifetime members can get a zip? It's easy to lock the pdf files in Acrobat Pro.