This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newly setup 10 gallon planted tank question

Discussion in 'Estimative Index' started by kyleax1, Oct 8, 2013.

1. kyleax1

kyleax1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    1:51 PM
    View attachment 4773

I have a 55gallon planted tank and my plants just don't thrive. I decided to turn my 10 gallon tank into a planted tank, take out all the fish and I can experiment and hopefully find something that works and transfer that to my larger tank.

I set all this up Sunday

My 10 gallon is as follows:
    fluorite
    2x 10watt cfl 6500k bulbs
    No fish
    10-20gallon walmart filter (still has bacteria from when I had my beta in here last week)

water parameters:
    PH 7.4-7.6 (out of tap)
    KH 10 (out of tap)
    GH 10 (out of tap)

I moved some plants from my 55 gallon and they are as follows:
    8 newly sprouted amazon swords (came on a vine from one of my old swords)
    5 dwarf sag (I could never get them to spread in my 55 gallon, they pretty much look the same as 8 months ago when i bought them)
    2 narrowleaf chainswords (never spread in my 55gallon, never seeded)
    some moss like stuff that I got from a guy who grew it in mats as floaters (have no idea what it is, just got it last week)

I am not using co2, so I am dosing 2x recommended excel, which comes to 2ml daily.
    I started with EI dosing 50% since that is what I read should be done when using excel instead of co2

I started dosing as follows:
    2ml excel daily
    1/16 tsp kno3 3x week
    1/64 kh2p04 3x week
    1ml trace 3x week

I wonder if with the tank so lightly planted, plus lots of the plants being babies If I should dose at a much lower level. Yesterday I did the macros and today I did micros. I tested nitrate today it is 60-80 this morning (fresh tap water Sunday and one macro dose yesterday). I just find it hard to believe a single 1/16 tsp dose of kno3 took nitrates to 60+.

So I'm just looking for a good starting point so I don't have to battle algae or have any other problems starting out.

View attachment 4773

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 kyleax1, Oct 8, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 8, 2013