This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newish 75 Gallon Planted Co2 Tank Lighting Advice

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Kevinb, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Kevinb

Kevinb New Member

Local Time:
    8:35 PM
    Hi, I’m new to the forum; this is my 2nd post. I have been researching a lot here in the last month or so, learning a lot but still timid in cranking up on ferts, light, and co2. I’m trying my best to slowly make adjustments. What I really need most right now is advice on starting points for Strength and length of lighting. In order for that I can give a little background.

75 gallon cycled and stable with regards to ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate.
    Moderately stocked with fish.
    Moderately planted; newly planted so somewhat juvenile (small) plants.

background; I have Brazilian pennywort and water sprite in the back and a small Anubia in the back corner.

Mid ground is crypts x3, rotala Wallichi x2, moneywort x1, ludwigia repens x2, araguaia x2, alternanthera x 1

Foreground: Micro sword x1 and Pygmy chain x1

2 moss balls floating around.
    Lighting; I know this is a weak point but I wanted to start with these until I learn more, then maybe upgrade to t5’s if I get more serious. But for now I have the new fluval planted set at 80% for all color levels for 7 hours. Finnex 24/7 planted light could be used for additional light, but it is off for now.

Co2: I am trying to target a 1 point drop in co2 for my daytime photoperiod, still honing in on this. This is mainly due to an unbearable wait time on my “ideal” brand needle valve. I am using a cheap homemade valve that is not easily titrateable. I am getting in the neighborhood of a 0.7 drop in ph for now.

Ferts: again just starting out and choose to try the pps-pro dosing. Daily dosing of the recommended levels of macronutrients. For micros, I am using seachem’s liquid, one cap full, 2x/week.

I will gladly take any advice on any of the above, but most interested in what to start my light levels at; how intense and for how long? What should I be working up to for strength of light and hours per day. And how fast to increase daytime light.

As soon as I figure out how to post a pic I will.

Thanks
    Kevin

Phishless likes this.
  2. Kevinb

Kevinb New Member

Local Time:
  3. Phishless

Phishless Lifetime Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    PPS ferts are on the weak side, should cause no issues.
    CO2 for a 1.0 drop should cause no issues either.

Your lighting I am not familiar with.
    Photo-period length for me has been 6.5 hours daily for years without issue.
    Without PAR data I cannot speak to the lighting intensity!

Kevinb likes this.
  4. Kevinb

Kevinb New Member

Local Time:
    “Reported” par data at at 18” is...
    Fluval 71
    Finnex 60

I guess this would be at 100% settings

so my ferts are weak now because I am feeling that my “max” par levels are on the weaker side.

5. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Which Seachem product?

Guess you would need both lights for best coverage.
    I use about 115 PAR @ substrate for 6.5 hours and have never changed even setup my others tanks alike.
    I've always started a tank @ this PAR and duration.

So PAR for 18", 75 gallon is a bit taller tank.

6. Kevinb

Kevinb New Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, that helps quite a bit. I’m gonna use both lights and ramp them up in power over the next week to 6-7 hours per day. Not sure if my plant load needs that much yet, hoping to stave off any algae outbreaks.

Seachem flourish is all I have for micros at the moment. I’ll research more on this and hopefully be able to mix my own in the near future.

thank you. You’ve been a big help.

7. Phishless

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    So Flourish Comprehensive for micros?

You may want to add Flourish Trace to you lineup if you stick with Seachem for micros.