Newby

keith00

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2007
Leicester
Hi

Just joined and, hopefully, set up my UK APS signature.

I am taking delivery of a 6' x 2' x 2' tomorrow when the fun will begin.

Anyone here from Leicester?

Regards

DevUK

Junior Poster
Apr 18, 2007
I think we need a certain amount of posts before we're alowed to link to images, as I have the same problem :)

Welcome! I'm relatively new too. Signed up a little while ago but not been too active till now :)

I'm in Coventry, so not too far away! :D

eds

Junior Poster
Apr 22, 2007
Nottingham, UK
Hi Keith,
Very jealous of your tank - lucky you!

I'm in Nottingham so not far and there's a few guys who I'm sure are from Leicester knocking around too.

bigdanne

Junior Poster
May 1, 2007
welcome guys. I am not too far away either, Daventry - J18 M1.

Look forward to seeing your tank Keith, I wish i could have one that big!

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Howdy Keith,

Hopefully you'll have a nice FW planted tank or decide to go a large marine planted system, maybe some purple seadragons to go with those seaweeds?

I'm trying to get the Monterey Bay Aquarium to do a nice SeaDragon display with marine macros and seagrasses.

I've pinpointed to them how to grow our local seagrasses well here.

Reefs are also very nice, I am using some smaller seagrasses in an upcoming reef I have planned for the foreground and then a regular coral reef display, just with a nice seagrass front.

Refuges are also an obvious aspect I'm good with.
This is a namely FW plant group, but there are more and more Marine plant folks popping up and trying things.

Regards,
Tom Barr

keith00

Junior Poster
Jun 16, 2007
Leicester
I am glad there are some Leicester people here. Apart from the net I have never seen a planted tank so maybe a get together some time?

Tom I see from your reply that you must have had a peek at my reef web site but in spite of your comments my decision has been made and I am now going the freshwater planted tank route and have sold all my salt water gear.

I wish you luck with Monterey Bay Aquarium - I didn't realise you were into salt water as well. The sea-grass project sounds good. I looked into this some years ago but we could not get it here in the UK and I was told that although some shops were looking into it there were great difficulties in transplanting it and getting it to grow.

I have, hopefully, attached a picture of my new tank. The back and one side are painted black, there are 5 x 58 watt lights in a home made hood. The tank will be heavily planted and managed by the Barr modified Walstad approach. I have six bags of Flourite and 50 kilos of fine gravel waiting to go in but before I add it I would be grateful for any comments on the position of the driftwood please.

IMG_3421.jpg