This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

newbie with anubias

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by steve todd, Dec 15, 2017.

1. steve todd

steve todd Member

Local Time:
    3:00 PM
    morning guys

having lots of trouble here i have anubias on drift wood as you can see by photo not going very good need help have lots of algae i use c02 dose iron daily use 4 led tubes on 75 cm deep tank
    my tank is 90x75x75 with sump of 170ltrs lights are on 8 hrs p\d

any help will be great

thank you
    from down under

anubiasjpg.jpg

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    6:00 AM
    That is a big tank - about 130 gallons. Without knowing anything about the LED tubes you use, you may have high light. With high light you need lots of healthy, growing plants to keep algae from becoming a big problem. And, that means you need to have adequate CO2 in the tank. It is much harder to get enough CO2 in that big a tank than in a 50 gallon tank. Have you measured how much your water's pH drops as a result of the CO2? (Measure the pH after the CO2 has been off for 16 hours or so. Turn on the CO2. After a couple of hours measure the pH again. If the pH drops by 1.0 you probably have about 30 ppm of CO2 in the water. For other pH drops you can calculate your approximate CO2 concentration using this equation: ppm CO2 = 3 times 10 raised to the pH difference power. For example, if the pH drop is 0.5, 10 to the 0.5 power is 3.16, so you have about 10 ppm of CO2.)

How do you diffuse your CO2 into the water?

Plants need more than iron to grow well. They need nitrogen, potassium, and phosphorus - the macro nutrients. And, they need much smaller amounts of iron, and a big list of other elements - the micro nutrients. See https://barrreport.com/threads/ei-light-for-those-less-techy-folks.2794/ for information.

#2 VaughnH, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
  3. steve todd

steve todd Member

Local Time:
    3:00 PM
    thank you for replying to answer 2 of your questions i use a sera CO2 reactor i have my CO2 on for 24x7 to keep PH under 7 for my discus if i have high light can i turn one of the 4 tubes off and go with 3.im going to stop dosing iron daily and switch to sachem flourish

cheers

#3 steve todd, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
Tags: