This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie to forum with a question

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by aquafan, Sep 5, 2008.

1. aquafan

aquafan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    8:28 AM
    :) Greetings everyone, I have been away from this for 30 years, being retired now at 53, have lots of free time, to enjoy my hobbies, very interested to plant a couple of natural tanks with a few schooling fish in 30 g tanks, like the natural method stated byTom Barr,except without the excel, the question I have, 6 months after tank set up, can a diatom filter be used to remove the yellow tinge in the water, or will it destroy all bacteria, if so can carbon be used in a hob filter? btw I really like this forum, great reading and learning.Thank you your reply is much appreciated.
    Randolph
    Ottawa

2. VaughnH

VaughnH Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Diatom filters remove very, very fine particulates in the water, making it very clear. Carbon removes organic compounds from the water, making it colorless. Neither will destroy the bacteria which live on surfaces in the tank and filter, not in the water.

3. aquafan

aquafan Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Thank you for the quick reply, much appreciated.
    Randolph