newbie philippines-macros

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
I would just like to know if anyone here has show/main tank that showcases saltwater plants and macroalgae instead of the usual corals? If so, what are the basic equipments/materials to be able to attain such tanks? I am planning to setup a 50 or 75 gallon fowlr with macroalgae in the near future so as of now i am on the stage of collecting information regarding these setup of mine. i've read over the internet articles about mangroves and indeed its really beautiful.

Thank you so much in advance for any response.

Godbless

Uly

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Several do.

Myself:

DSCN0053.jpg

DSCN0056.jpg

Regards,
Tom Barr

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
Mabuhay!

wow, this is an honor, thank you sir tom. sir, may i know your "recipe" for this tank? if one is trying to have a macroalga tank would a sump be necessary? Did you add soil in the bottom of the tank? :)

thank you in advance

Godbless

Uly

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Some have added it, but it's really not needed near as I can tell.
I think in really productive systems, yes, but not here in the above tank, some of these are slower growing, a mass of Caulpera? Perhaps.

Sediment is just aragonite sand. Deep+ a little bit of marine mud from the Florida Keys. Living in the Phils, you ought to be able to get everything you need to grow macro algae as well as the macro algae.

I'd get a snorkel mask and go out looking, especially at low tide.
You can also get the marine water locally as well if you live in a decent clean water area(or can stop and get it somewhere).

If you live on the Big island(Luzon?) I know there are some aquatic plant Farmer's south of Manila about 50-100miles. Herson Moroco's family.
They raise rare Crypts.

Regards,
Tom Barr

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
thank you sir tom.

Actually, sir tom, i dont know if this will work because i've already gathered materials ie lights in preparation for a freshwater planted setup but this past few weeks i've seen a lot of aquariums/refugiums nurturing macro-algaes with only screw-in compact flourescents and just like your tank its so beautiful. So my question is, currently i have 5 x 40 watts (accdg to its label 10,000k) planted aquarium flourescent for my 75g, would this suffice?

thank you Godbless

Uly

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
hi there everyone.

Mabuhay!!!

This is what i currently use in my 20g freshwater planted tank. Its an osram pl 55 watts (6500k).

IMG0111A.jpg

My questions are:
1) does anyone here uses this kind of fixture in their saltwater setups?
2) would this be a good fixture in growing macros?

any additional information will be highly appreciated.

thanks

Godbless

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
mabuhay!

@tom
sir, what is the photoperiod of your macro-algae tank? i have read information that some folks do turn on the lights 24/7. Or anyone can also share what they think about turning on the lights for macros 24/7.

i really the info.

thanks so much in advance for any response

Godbless

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
i started this 10g tank last Feb 24, 2008

Mabuhay!

I hope everyone is in a-1 condition including their tanks. Its been quite a long-time since i updated this thread. I've been out of town for awhile because of work and had the chance to go to the beach and collect some cool "macros attached on rocks" and some seawater.

full view
as of now its almost 2 months since i setup the tank and there are a lot of things growing out from the rocks, sands and i guess some diatoms and other algaes are loosening its grip and replaced by some weird but beautiful stuff. I am also starting to see some copepods and the likes.
DSC01982.JPG

can anyone help me identify this macro. actually i got a bunch of them attached to rocks, the other i just put it in my aquarium and this one i pruned just to see which one will survive or thrive.
DSC01974.JPG

this one i just saw it floating so i got some of it and just put it there
DSC01969.JPG

i also got some seagrass...or i believe its seagrass i just put in my tank.
DSC01975.JPG

====to be continued
Godbless

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
continued...

the FC is growing quite nice and its starting to spread its wings in my tank.
DSC01981.JPG

need your advises/suggestions/expertise/whatever ;D

Godbless everyone.

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
good evening to all.

Mabuhay!

Updates of my 10g experiment. As of now, i am using 2 CFLs (6500k) and PL 33 watts (6500k) and its 14hrs on everyday, i'll be adding a new 15watt blue actinic soon. The tank will be 2 months old in a few days.

i have the ff equipments ...
2 Powerheads
1 HOB filter (foam as medium)

and i dose DIY-CO2, i turn it on in the morning before i go to work then off before i go to bed. Most of the time, i use distilled water for top-off but sometimes i use NSW and synthetic for top off. (my bad!!)

I just removed a lot of nuisance algae (i guess i have a very bad case of hair algae or bryopsis ?)

Then i found several algaes on the rocks:

at first i didnt pay attention to this stuff because i thought that my eyes were fooling me but tonight when i removed a lot of nuisance in the tank i am quite happy that they're actually growing. i hope that this kind of algae is what i am looking for.
IMG0170A.jpg

this one i just got it from the beach and it was quite small then but anyhow i just put it in my aquarium and it seems to be growing.
IMG0171A.jpg

is this mermaid's wine glass?
IMG0172A.jpg

i guess i have xenia growing on the rock i just hope its the real deal.
IMG0169A.jpg

---i'll take a picture of my aiptasia, its quite hard to take a picture of it in the evening becauses it closes up.

----i would like to apologize for the quality of the pics the digicam was not available so i just used my cellphone camera.

Open for any suggestions/advises/comments.

If i hit the 2 month mark, can i do WC ?

Happy reef/marine/saltwater keeping everyone.

Godbless

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
i hope everyone is in A-1 condition.

@3D-Reef
WHOA!! thanks for the response, i am sure you're one of the gurus ;)

updates...updates...updates...my tank has reached the 2 month mark and i just did a 50% WC using saltmix. I've noticed as i take out the old water from the tank, it has a yellowish color but when i added a fresh new batch the water is clear again. I removed a lot as in a lot of algae in the tank. My new water maintenance would be a 50%WC weekly, and i am still an avid follower of saltmix and NSW.

DSC02086.JPG

my mandarin goby
DSC02096.JPG

i think this is some kind of ulva, one of my favorites. lumaki na po iyan.
DSC02094.JPG

----------------------------

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
-------------

this aiptasia has really grown and i've seen 3 more of it in my tank
DSC02089.JPG

the sargassum has really taken over the tank so i cut it.
DSC02093.JPG

Thank you in advance for your suggestions/comments and viewing.

Godbless

mujacko2002

Prolific Poster
Aug 22, 2007
Philippines
thinking of a sun-powered marine planted tank

Mabuhay!

Hello everyone. I hope everything is in A-1 condition including their tanks. Anyway, something got me into thinking lately, would it be possible to setup a marine planted tank using the power of the sun just like what i did in my freshwater setup. I've read a couple of people who has done it with their setups with corals but they still have a lot of machines which are really very costly around here and way beyond my means.

So, to anyone who would browse this thread, i would like to know what do you think of my idea, is it practical? or is it just a waste a time,money and effort.

The Location :
this was shot around 8.30am
DSC02811.jpg

this was taken early afternoon
2009-99-5-55-39-1-DSC02804.JPG

For cycling purposes only: (planning to have a 75g setup)
Temporary cycling tank : this tank has been with me since college and just checking for any leaks. This will temporarily house my LRs and LS.
2009-99-5-55-40-5-DSC02808.JPG

Part of Substrate :
It was only recently that i've read something about mineral mud. I've asked around our local websites but no one seems to be interested or knows about it. But there is someone locally who used garden soil (kinda like mineralized soil) in his refugium setup. Anyway, I have this soil submerged since last year maybe a little under 5 months (still counting) i might be using this in the setup. The composition of my substrate would be soil-sand-soil-sand (what do you think?)
2009-99-5-55-39-3-DSC02806.JPG

Any inputs will be highly appreciated.

well,wish me luck folks.

Godbless