This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie on forum, need some feedback on my tank please

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Hugefoot, Oct 25, 2012.

1. Hugefoot

Hugefoot Junior Poster

Local Time:
    4:43 PM
    Hi guys,
    First off I just want to say that I really appreciate the wealth of information that one can find around here, as well as the helpful people that take their time to answer questions.
    I've dabbled with aquariums for the last year or so and eventually sold my old 112 liter tank to get a 180 liter one, which i started 11 days ago. I will give you all the information I can about my tank, as well as my long term goals and issues that I can foresee, hoping that you can provide a bit of feedback to set me on the right track.

Now, for the stats:

Size: Tank has 47.5 gallons and has a length of 40" and a height of 16".
    Lighting: 2 x T5HO 39W with JBL reflectors - started without reflectors at 6 hours/day. Added 1 reflector on day 7 and the second one on day 11. Still 6 hours / day but planing on increasing it in day 15 to 7 hours.
    Filtration: JBL E900 Filter filled with siporax
    Ferts: Dosing liquid ferts (PPS pro and micro) but am planning to switch to EI style asap. Inert substrate / 2-4 mm quartz.
    CO2: Tank CO2 with DYI reactor - 3 to 4 bubbles/sec - attaching a pick of my PH meter.
    Plants: Didiplis Diandra and glossostigma elatinoides (see pics)

Planning on adding RCS shrimp and about 20-25 shoaling fish.
    Planning on adding a surface skimmer and perhaps a wave maker.

Issues/questions:

I am planning on adding 10 ppm NO3 and 2-3 ppm PO4. At my current lighting and biomass, is this dosage ok and should i do it 2, 3 or 4 times a week considering weekly 50% water changes?
    Is the light enough to grow the plants I have in my aquarium? Currently the glosso is growing vertically instead of horizontally and some sites say that its due to poor lighting. I can imagine that its too soon to assess this. Or is it?
    I'm attaching some pics of my plants, so you can see their current "health".
    Is there anything I am missing?

#1 Hugefoot, Oct 25, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2012
  2. mike

mike Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Welcome,

A bit of advice from someone who's been down the road recently.

You need to add more plants ASAP, and fast growing plants. Hygro (Water Sprit) and Egera Densa are 2 that come to mind, pack in as much as you can even if they won't stay in long term. This will help fight off algae by absorbing nutrients that may build up during a tank startup. Did you use any filter media from your last tank to start this one? If so this will help you in the startup. Since you're substraight is inert you will have to add some root tabs to help the glosso along, it demands a nutrient rich substraight. Also, given tha amount of light you have you may not have enough CO2. I'm not familiar with the PH meter you're using but a certain level of PH is not an indication of how much CO2 you have. What you need to do it see how much your PH has dropped since just before the CO2 comes on and just before the lights come on. A PH drop of one is an indication that you have about 30ppm, add a drop checker to that and you have a good idea how much CO2 you have.

As for the scape, from what I've read, all your rocks should be slopped in the same direction. It makes it easier on the eyes to follow from one side to other.

For now though .... more plants.

Mike

3. Hugefoot

Hugefoot Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I'll make sure to add some plants as I see that a lot of algae have spawned all over my front glass as well as my substrate. I believe it to be GSA and it might be due to the fact that i added the second reflector a bit to early.
    Now I'm not really sure if I should remove the reflector or attempt to ride it out and just do a water change and keep up fertilization.
    Regarding the old filter media, I did use it but i believe all bacteria have died because i left my filter unpowered for about a month or so.
    On a side note, the didiplis is melting away.