Newbie here w/ 5g and 20g planted tank

whitecloud09

Junior Poster
Mar 9, 2009
Okay so I hate to ask questions that may have already been answered, but I've searched forums for a little over a month and a half now, been educated a little, found some answers, but not all and have since set up two tanks that are a bit over a week old now. Sorry if this is long....
I've had a 20g for a little over a year in which I kept about three fancy goldfish for about that long...they've all since died around January. So I wanted to start over fresh and really got into learning about keeping fish, because I knew nothing at the time of keeping the prior fish. (which I was surprised after reading that they lasted that long!) I then bought a 4 gallon biorb and cycled it almost three weeks before adding two whiteclouds...I have four now (3f 1m), but I wanted a planted tank and after searching online and being inspired by the photos I had seen I wanted to transfer my 20g into a planted tank. I cleaned it, left it alone for a few weeks, but also wanted a nano tank. So I bought an ADA Mini-M. Later got all the things I needed to get started a little at a time. Aquasoil, rocks, pressurized co2 for both tanks, lighting, lily pipes, 2 eheim 2213 filters, etc. So now I was set...I think...Waited for the plants to arrive (HC then Microsword) and things started going well.
What I'm not sure of is when I'm supposed to do my first water change if any? My mini M is doing well except for the Microsword in it. I plan to replace it with Sag, Subulata. It is doing well in the 20g, but now I have what I believe is Green Brush Algae and Diatoms, not sure. I'll post pics later. So far no algae in the Mini-M.
I'm new to this so I'm not sure about my dosing. I dose with Flourish line
Excel-daily
Potassium-3x a week
Phosphorus-1x a week
Green bacter-daily
Nitrogen-1x a week
Plus Seachem Stability daily in both tanks.
I came here because I heard about Watson's ferts , but I don't understand the whole EI thing yet.
Any help would be appreciated...I know I may have left some things out, but ask and I may be able to tell you.
Also I have been testing the tanks ammonia which is still high in both tanks and zero in my established biorb, so I'm wondering if I can speed things along by transferring my whiteclouds in those tanks for the time being until its ready for what I really want.

whitecloud09

Junior Poster
Mar 9, 2009
My Mini-M progression
whitecloud09-albums-ada-mini-m-g-picture775-img-0108.jpg

whitecloud09-albums-ada-mini-m-g-picture776-setup.jpg

whitecloud09-albums-ada-mini-m-g-picture777-water-planted.jpg

whitecloud09-albums-ada-mini-m-g-picture778-img-0130.jpg

whitecloud09

Junior Poster
Mar 9, 2009
My 20g progression
whitecloud09-albums-my-20g-tank-picture771-first-setup.jpg

whitecloud09-albums-my-20g-tank-picture773-after-planted.jpg

whitecloud09-albums-my-20g-tank-picture774-1st-week.jpg

You can see a little algae on the glass in the last pic as of 3/5/09. It looks a bit worse now.