This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie From Philly

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Christina, Mar 21, 2019.

1. Christina

Christina New Member

Local Time:
    7:04 PM
    Hi everyone,

I'm Chi. I got into the hobby on 12/31/18 and haven't looked back. I don't know what made me want to get into aquariums but I love it. I'm a terrestrial gardener and maintain a vegetable garden during the growing season as well as a variety of succulents, orchids, and African violets in my room. Everything is low tech so I figured why not try my hand at aquarium plants to go with my fish.

I currently have 2 tanks.

My original tank is a 10 gallon. Substrate is fluorite and fluorite black and fluorite black sand.
    I have seachem flourish tabs in the substrate.
    plants are: 2 amazon swords, 1 aponogeton boivinianus, 2 marimo balls, 1 windelov java fern, 1 planted water sprite, java moss, 1 banana plant, 1 microsword broken up to grow to provide a bit of carpet, 1 bucephalandra on driftwood. I also just added a pothos plant cutting to the top of the tank and am waiting for it to root.
    Fish are: 1 male dwarf gourami, 8 dwarf gold barbs, 4 java loaches, 4 amano shrimp, 3 nerite snails.

I run an aquaclear 20 and I'm waiting for a corner sponge filter to arrive so I can have increased filtration/backup filtration to help.

My light is a current USA LED + … pro? It's the one with the different light features but it is not on a timer. Heater is an adjustable aqueon heater. I think it's 50W

I'm currently dealing with a pretty decent algae problem and have been looking into that. The majority of the plants were just added in the last week or so. I'm not planning on adding any more plants or fish at this time. The tank is a bit overstocked but I keep up on it and am working on decreasing nitrate parameters.

My 2nd tank is a 5 gallon betta tank. It currently holds a beautiful half moon betta and 1 (very lazy) nerite snail (I know it's alive! it seems to move when I don't watch).

This tank was set up about a month ago and the betta added like 2 weeks ago so I am dealing with some brown diatom algae but hoping that clears up.

substrate is just seachem flourish and flourish black. Also seachem root tabs. Light is Aqueon LED planted clip on. Penn-Plax cascade heater that's adjustable to keep it toasty warm.

I'm running a sponge filter only with air pump and adjustable gauge to keep flow relatively low for my betta.

Plants are 2 marimo balls, 1 dwarf lily, 1 java fern (possibly undulata? I forget), parva crypt and microsword to help carpet, some of windelov java fern, some of bucephalandra both attached to driftwood with cotton laceweight yarn, floating water sprite, anubias barteri "nana", almond leaf.

This tank is starting to show some algae but not as bad as the 10 gallon so it's been a bit of an adventure. I've been doing a lot of research and book reading and a lot of learning the hard way (I originally started out with molly fish and while I didn't kill all of them, I learned an important lesson). But I'm only one in my family who has kept a fish tank recently so I know there will be mistakes. I'm here and on the planted tank forum as well to try to learn as much as I can. I'll post pics on another post when I get to my home computer.

Thanks!
    Chi

2. Kyalgae

Kyalgae Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey, welcome!

I have the Current LED+ and the +PRO. The LED+ has two rows of LEDs and the +PRO has a single line of more powerful LEDs. Personally I think even though the +PRO has more power the LED+ has better light spread. They both have adjustable intensity and it would say which fixture you have on the remote that came with the light.

3. Christina

Christina New Member

Local Time:
    I wasn't home when I wrote my intro post so I couldn't remember. I have the freshwater LED plus. I knew it was the one that was not the automatic 24 hour setup. I didn't know that about the + pro only having a single line. I like that the LED+ has 2 lines and now that I've taken the black hinge off of the glass top, I feel I can get better light coverage in the tank

Tags: