This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

Newbie from Australia in need of guidance

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by trd1, Mar 3, 2008.

1. trd1

trd1 Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:51 AM
    Hi everyone. I would like to introduce myself. My name is Corrado & I am from Australia. I am fairly new to the hobby & have found your site very interesting & informative. However I would be grateful for some help please.

I have a 380 lt/100gal (probably 320lt/85gal of actual water) planted tank. I have about 5 inches of Duplaground substrate with a layer of laterite.
    I have about 75 small fish (tetras, platties, SAE, ottos, corys, BN Catfish, rainbows, bumblebee goby & also glass shrimp & freshwater mussels).

I use straight water (I currently do not add anything such as conditioning salts) for the tank through our whole house filtration system using carbon & sediment filters. The GH & KH is approx 2-3 degrees, Ph 7.2-7.4. TDS 100ppm. NH3=0, NO3=0, NO2=0.
    I have 8x 39w 900mm T5 HO tubes (I currently only have 4 on 10hrs/day, however they can be switched on in pairs), Eheim Pro II 2028 cannister filter & UV steriliser. No CO2 (my wife insists that I keep it that way!!!).

The photo I have attached is when the tank was 1 month old (only a few fish). Currently things are not too good in regards to plants rotting & leaves becoming transparent. Though no algae apart from some green spot algae. The tanks is now 4 months old.
    I was going to start dosing once a week for a non CO2 tank:
    3/4 tsp KNO3
    1/4 tsp KH2PO4
    1 tablespoon Seachem Equilibrium to raise GH.

We are also currently (& permanently!!) on water restrictions & therefore I currently do a 40%-50% WC & gravel clean once a month.

My questions are.

1/ Are my EI measurements OK?
    2/ Can I maintain my 50% WC a month or do I need to modify EI doses or WC
    3/ How much lighting do I need?

Your guidance on these issues would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Corrado