kizwan

Aug 17, 2019
Kedah, Malaysia
Thanks! I just recently identified it as BGA. I thought it was diatom. I have successfully get rid it before by turning down the light intensity. My lighting doesn't support dimming but I have two short led light for left & right. I just turn off one for a couple of days. BGA turn grey & die. I have repositioned my lights so that they are positioned higher. Now we'll see if this helps.

The root cause most likely is the soil. I use too much organic soil about 1 inch but inadequate cap (1 inch too). I'm trying to get away from re-scaping my tank.

BTW, do you have any idea what toxic kill fish but not shrimp? I'm trying to put a bristlenose pleco but it died while my ghost shrimps (riceland prawn) have no problem.

kizwan

Aug 17, 2019
Kedah, Malaysia
BGA is easy to kill but it tend to come back. I believe it is because the soil because the same soil use in the garden also grow a little bit of BGA on the soil. I have since two months ago, rescape my Tank #2, clean all of the gravel & added fine sand to get depth to slightly more than 3 inch. So far there is no more BGA. All plants doing well. So far only three types of plants in there that survived.

Problem with Tank #1, BBA appeared on the edge of old leaves. Dosing micro & macro to get the plants healthy. So far all plants are recovering with healthy new leaves but it is slow progress because no CO2 injection & this is not dirt setup.