This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New "What's New" format

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by aquabillpers, May 16, 2013.

1. aquabillpers

aquabillpers Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    4:19 AM
    I think this is as good a place as any to post this.

I don't care for the new "What's New" format for several reasons, not the least of which is that I find it cumbersome to pore through the often several postings to the same thread.

Several days ago I sent an email about this to "Contact Us." I've yet to get a response.

Does anybody else want to return to the old "What's New" format? Has anybody else seen a decline in the user-friendliness of Barrreport.com?

Regards,

Bill

2. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I would prefer that each thread remain unique on the list as well, no matter the # of replies. I do not like seeing the page filled with replies to only several threads.

That said, I just got used to it..just like at work :)

3. mike

mike Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    Click on "New Posts"

If you select New Posts, just below what's new, you get the old format.

Mike

4. aquabillpers

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Mike - thanks!!!!

Bill

5. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder
    Staff Member Administrator

Local Time:
    This is what I use.

6. thegasman

thegasman Subscriber

Local Time:
    Me too.....

7. Greg Watson

Greg Watson Administrator

Local Time:
    I saw your posting to the contact us form(I am guessing this is what you meant by email) ... I suspect it was written in a moment of extreme emotion. It did not contain a question, thus I do not believe anyone would have responded.

I personally respond to about 50 questions each day.

Software updates occur and change is often challenging, more so for some than others. Another very large update is going to occur in the near future. I am personally so comfortable with change and using so many different software platforms, that I personally shrug of small little changes !

What direction should a table knife point?

My wife cares a lot about a table setting and can rage and shout with vitriolic language when the direction of a knife blade is facing the wrong direction (for anyone who cares, the blade is supposed to point in towards the plate-away from other guests). Fortunately with the knife, I can quietly flip the knife over and make her happy.

I will be installing a test version of the next software upgrade sometime in the next few weeks. Most who are used to a variety of different software platforms will barely notice a change ... Others may notice but simply shrug it off ... A few may have already seen the changes on other forums that keep current on technology and security updates ... And a few may be unhappy ...

If you would like see it, I might be able to arrange a preview !

Thanks,
    Greg
    Greg Watson

8. aquabillpers

Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    My question was not written in "extreme emotion." I had tried to access the new posts in the way that I always have, and it didn't work. I was able to see the new posts in "Forums" but, as I said in my email, I found that cumbersome.

In most of my working life I was responsible for software development, on all platforms from mainframe to the internet and "cloud", and whenever an update to existing software that affected a user interface was made, the users were informed in advance of that change, not left to figure it out on their own.

Mike, Tom, and others kindly responded to my post in a helpful manner, and I thanked them for doing that.

A suggestion: Before you install an upgrade, inform the users of the changes. That will eliminate at least some of any unhappiness, and probably reduce the number of emails that you get.

Bill

9. Tom Barr

Tom Barr Founder

Local Time:
    I'm just happy I got the pointing knife the right way. :cool:

Announcements can mention updates a coming down the pipe for everyone.
    But many do not read those, stickies and whatnot, and need reminded(like me cough cough). But I wiggle my way through.