This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New to planted tanks

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by Tump, Jul 26, 2017.

1. Tump

Tump New Member

Local Time:
    9:28 PM
    ive never had a planted tank before and I am looking for some ideas and advice. I have a 20 long I'm about to set up as a cherry shrimp tank. I have overhead led spotlights i can adjust the number and distance as needed but I want a low-medium light planted tank. What would be a good substrate? I've thought about sand over soil or flourite dark. Plants? I want some cryptos for sure. What goes well with them? Would I be better to use my 20 long tank or my 20 tall?
    Thanks

2. DutchMuch

DutchMuch Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:28 AM
    Do the 20 long, dirted..

#2 DutchMuch, Jul 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  3. Tump

Tump New Member

Local Time:
    9:28 PM
    That's what I was thinking for shrimp. I have a 29 I'm setting up for neons
    Thanks

4. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    3:28 AM
    Blasting sand or pool filter sand is nice because if you uproot plants you won't make the water a mess. Dirt and even flourite will really get messy if you decide to rescape rearrange the plants.

I have pool filter sand over flourite. Decided to yank out the crypts and stem plants, I wasn't even half way done, and I couldn't see anything. Had to pull the rest out blind. Polish the water. These plants had been there for a while though, root systems were big.