New to forum + hydrocotyle ranunculoides

rickwrench

Junior Poster
May 18, 2009
Hi all,
First post from a former lurker, avid reader, with many tanks full of weeds and assorted fish.

Last summer, I noticed a fresh wad of marsh pennywort (hydrocotyle ranunculoides) that was jammed under one of the rollers on my neighbors boat trailer, just back from a fishing trip on the sac/sj delta. It was literally crawling with water critters, mostly scuds. I tossed it in my front yard (ex-koi) pond. The gambusia were overjoyed.

A few months later it had taken off. I snipped off a couple strands and dropped them in a 33 gallon open top, lo-tech tank, raised the lights up a bit.

It looks great as a floater in an open top tank. The petioles reorient themselves after the first day or two and stand up 6-8" above the water, reaching for the lights, the white dangling roots and green stems are great hiding places for fry. I chase the back end of of the floating strands every couple weeks, as they get "stalky". Sailfin mollies, flag fish, plecos don't bother it.

I've been searching around for a while and have yet to find much aquarium related information on hydrocotyle ranunculoides.

My question is:
Will it grow submersed?

Anyone have any experience growing this plant fully submersed, either lo-tech, or CO2 enriched, etc.? I have visions of long strands wrapped artfully around some long bogwood branches in the background of a future tank.

Floating marsh pennywort, juvenile flag fish, with duckweed (flag fish food):
33g-penny-duck-flag-top.jpg

Happy flag fish in root wad:
flagfish29.jpg

Thanks,
Rick

Philosophos

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Mar 12, 2009
According to this abstract's key words, it seems to be. Other species of the hydrocotyle genus are definitely used submerged in planted tanks. You could always experiment with a little under ideal circumstances, and see if it survives.

-Philosophos

rickwrench

Junior Poster
May 18, 2009
I'll snip a few segment sections and try different ways to plant them. I'll jam a few into the substrate, pin a few down against the substrate with paper clips bent into curly legged "U"s, and tie a few off on a deep branch.

Rick