This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. Dismiss Notice
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New to forum + hydrocotyle ranunculoides

Discussion in 'Are you new to aquatic plants? Start here' started by rickwrench, May 20, 2009.

1. rickwrench

rickwrench Junior Poster

Local Time:
    5:28 PM
    Hi all,
    First post from a former lurker, avid reader, with many tanks full of weeds and assorted fish.

Last summer, I noticed a fresh wad of marsh pennywort (hydrocotyle ranunculoides) that was jammed under one of the rollers on my neighbors boat trailer, just back from a fishing trip on the sac/sj delta. It was literally crawling with water critters, mostly scuds. I tossed it in my front yard (ex-koi) pond. The gambusia were overjoyed.

A few months later it had taken off. I snipped off a couple strands and dropped them in a 33 gallon open top, lo-tech tank, raised the lights up a bit.

It looks great as a floater in an open top tank. The petioles reorient themselves after the first day or two and stand up 6-8" above the water, reaching for the lights, the white dangling roots and green stems are great hiding places for fry. I chase the back end of of the floating strands every couple weeks, as they get "stalky". Sailfin mollies, flag fish, plecos don't bother it.

I've been searching around for a while and have yet to find much aquarium related information on hydrocotyle ranunculoides.

My question is:
    Will it grow submersed?

Anyone have any experience growing this plant fully submersed, either lo-tech, or CO2 enriched, etc.? I have visions of long strands wrapped artfully around some long bogwood branches in the background of a future tank.

Floating marsh pennywort, juvenile flag fish, with duckweed (flag fish food):
    [​IMG]

Happy flag fish in root wad:
    [​IMG]

Thanks,
    Rick

2. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    According to this abstract's key words, it seems to be. Other species of the hydrocotyle genus are definitely used submerged in planted tanks. You could always experiment with a little under ideal circumstances, and see if it survives.

-Philosophos

3. rickwrench

rickwrench Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I'll snip a few segment sections and try different ways to plant them. I'll jam a few into the substrate, pin a few down against the substrate with paper clips bent into curly legged "U"s, and tie a few off on a deep branch.

Rick

4. Philosophos

Philosophos Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Sounds good. Let us know how it fairs.

-Philosophos