This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New tank set up CO2, plants, etc???

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by rs18alpha, Sep 2, 2017.

1. rs18alpha

rs18alpha Subscriber

Local Time:
    2:45 PM
    I need help!! I've decided to make a change in my tank. A total redo. I thought I had it figured out but I need help. So here we go. I'm going to list what I have and what I'd like to do as far as plants,lighting, CO2 and filters.
    40 gal breeder
    CO2 injection
    Fluval 70 hob I now this isn't the best filter, but it's what I got.t
    Fluval U2 under water filter, this will go on the other end mainly to help with circulation.
    Hydor 180gph pump
    This should provide plenty of circulation..
    Twinstar 900ES LED 36" this should be a much better led then the ones I'm using now!!
    Chichiros algae inhibitor. Some people say these work and some don't. My cousin sent me this for my birthday. So I might as well give it a try. It can't hurt..

I've asked these questions before, but that was when I was going to use the leds that I have now. By accident I deleted my emails that I received.
    So I'm asking them again.

Question: I have plants in my tank now. I'd like to use as many as possible. But, some of them have algae. Now I don't know if putting plants in a new set up that have algae is a good idea??

Question: When I start the new tank how long should I wait to turn on the CO2? I think it's right away?

Question: Should I have the lights on for 8 hours to start off with?

Question: How long should I wait to put my fish in?

Let me know if I forgot anything..

Thanks ever one!!

2. Dale Hazey

Dale Hazey Junior Poster

Local Time:
    What kind of substrate?

Co2 from day one, turn it on about 1 hour before lights on, try to get a PH drop of 1 or 1.2 something like that. Then shut it off about 1 hour before lights off.

6-8 hour photoperiod to start with

More plants the better...
    Rub/clean algae off infected leaves, or trim affected leaves. If it's just GSA maybe just leave it, and see if it will die off. I read Synking has added plants with bba and just let it die off, Burr has said bba will not take over a tank unless the conditions are right for it to do so. Starting from scratch your tank will be clean of gunk and detritus so that's good, but new tanks go through an algae phase while things balance out, I think it's mostly diatoms idk tho

Your bio media is already established?
    I don't see why you couldn't add your fish very soon after setup, if you already got bacteria in the filters

#2 Dale Hazey, Sep 3, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
    DutchMuch and slipfinger like this.
  3. bshenanagins

bshenanagins Junior Poster

Local Time:
    Types of plants, substrate, dosing regimen, established filters or not, just a few things we need to know to help. Pictures too

Tags: