New Tank Build Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

csmith

I finally got it back. I had mistakenly used the Priority label, and the course of action they decided was best was to cross off the addresses on the box. I assume this was why it bounced around for a while. I'll take it as the learning experience it is.

DukeNJ

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 18, 2009
Mincing was cool. Anyone notice how different the tank looked in the still at the end compared to the video? Even the fish were "redder" in the pic.

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Gerryd;77088 said:
Hi HJ,

Yeah, that's me, full of surprises :) I appreciate the inclusiveness of the 'Let's continue the good work'.... Glad to hear I am not alone lol

I'm still waiting for your comments on the latest look????

I got over being hurt from the last time.....:)

Thanks as always!

Hi Gerry,
The most important thing is that YOU like it, irrespective of aquascaping rules. But if you want me to help in any way, I'm here.

(my Downoi already needs trimming ;) )

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
dutchy;77112 said:
Hi Gerry,
The most important thing is that YOU like it, irrespective of aquascaping rules. But if you want me to help in any way, I'm here.

(my Downoi already needs trimming ;) )

Hi HJ,

I DO very much like the tank, but if you see something, point it out. It doesn't have to be the hardscape. It could be plant growth or grouping, paths, etc.

Just looking to improve...
Thanks!

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

Attempting to hide/eliminate hardware in the tank......I cut two manzy pieces from larger pieces in my stash that are currently soaking (so they sink) and leaching for the next few weeks...I kept the best intact trust me....good to have a lot of wood :)

These will be to hide the eheim intake tubes (2 in each back corner) and a bit of the outlet as well. At the least, it will block the tubes from the main viewing positions :) which is what is important lol

Basically they are 'columns' or 'trunks' that will not be too wide....they have some character but will be hidden by the ferns...

Anyhoo, I have lots of java needle simply stuck behind/around the tubes, but that is not ideal.

My plan is to attach the ferns/mosses to the two new pieces and place that in front of the tubes. That makes for easier maintenance and in case I don't like it.....I can remove it easily....

The manzy I chose has many grooves so I may not have to use many zip ties or thread to attach the rhizomes...

I will insert wooden dowels in the bottoms to keep the bottom of the wood OFF the substrate a few inches. This will provide area to the strainers and not block them.

I will post pics of the two pieces later on....I wanted to get them soaking ASAP....

Many manzy branches IME can take many weeks/months to fully leach out and/or sink. A few weeks in buckets with reg w/c assists this greatly. They need to be sunk first so they don't float away....

I got a plant package from Tom earlier that had some more coffeefolia so I added that after a bit of trimming....there are also some petite as well as some red stems, ech vesuv, and some others I need to id.

I may not use most of them as there is very little room to place anything :) The growth in the tank is much better and no bare spots exist really....

Later!

Last edited by a moderator:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

I thought I would share a pic or two of when the tree on the right side fell over....

One pic shows the pennywort 'canopy' and the size of it....it was very attractive IMO and the hydrocotyle is a very pretty plant emersed or submerged...

I do NOT think it had any impact on the toppling of the tree itself...not directly anyway...I was trimming it gently and boom...

A few more shows the scape w/o the tree...

And then just the hole where the tree was :)

View attachment 2669View attachment 2670View attachment 2671View attachment 2672View attachment 2673

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Here are some more showing the in progress chaos and then after replanting the tree :) I did 2 large >80% water changes during this. Once when removing the slate and another after filling and running the filters/flow for about 15 minutes...

I did the second w/c and then two days later replaced the eheim canister pads... which were filled with ADA dust....

Another large w/c 2 days later and that was that...

View attachment 2674View attachment 2675View attachment 2676View attachment 2677View attachment 2678

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Here are 4 pics of the two 'back' corners with the eheim tubes and the java stuffed in there...

This is what I want to hide using the two manzy branches I trimmed up before....

I can't really have emersed growth as I would like as the cats will simply be TOO tempted to grab hold when they see it...

But, if I can better/more 'naturally' conceal this hardware inside the tank then it is worth a bit of effort.

View attachment 2680View attachment 2681View attachment 2682View attachment 2679

Left C

Lifetime Members
Sep 26, 2005
Burlington, NC
Gerryd;77091 said:
Hi Left C,

No, I am very happy with the situation....I missed my tank....

I purchased fittings (both PVC and brass) but cannot get a 1" PVC coupler on to the c02 port adapter. The threads do not seem to exactly match. But they do fit fine on the pump itself????

Did you use sched 80 pvc for this portion?

I did order one of the reducing Tee in case this is now stripped.....

I will keep you posted as I want to hook this up in the worst way to get the other pump out of the tank!

BTW, I know the hydor has to be mounted vertically. As long as the direction for flow is correct, does it matter if the unit is 'upside down' so to speak?

As stated, the water flow would follow the arrow on the unit. Just may be easier to install one way vs the other...
I don't know if it is sched 80. I just tried to read the writing on one of the couplers, but my eyes aren't good enough to read it. ... Getting old. It's grey if that helps.

I just took the pump to Lowe's and I told their plumbing associate that I wanted to reduce it for 5/8" tubing. He rounded up the parts and out the door I went.

The "Tee coupler" where you put the tubing on at the intake; I cracked it giving it a final turn. I used an Aqua Medic 15mm x 4mm Tee that I had laying around instead. This works fine. You just don't get the venturi effect like the stock part. I don't think that it makes much difference though. BTW, I used Teflon tape on all the pump fittings. http://www.marinedepot.com/Aqua_Med...quariums-Aqua_Medic_USA-AQ9113-FICOPP-vi.html

I mounted my Hydor pump in the direction that the arrow points. This causes an extra bend in the tubing, but it doesn't seem to hurt the flow very much. I still have plenty. I do not know if it can be mounted upside down. I really don't know why it couldn't. I thought about mounting mine upside down too, but I didn't want to pose a possible problem if there is one. Do be sure to tape the temp control knob on the Hydor when you have it set right. It is too easy to turn. A slight touch or bump on the knob can easily change its setting. This is a design flaw that should be corrected.

I know that you would certainly like to get the junk out of the tank and put it underneath.

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi all,

A photobucket link of pics from today just after a large >80% water change...

http://s248.photobucket.com/albums/gg182/gerrydirish/Day Before Xmas/?albumview=slideshow

And then some video:

[video=youtube;WCI8apIBhqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCI8apIBhqc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

You can see that the clover surrounds the entire perimeter :)

Looking better now after 4 months...Starting to mature and fill out a bit..

Still have some manzy leaching issues....but getting better...

Later!

jerrybforl

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2010
Miami Beach, FL.
Gerry it looks amazing! I really liked the hydrocytle hovering above the manzy...Looks a little bare now :rolleyes: Can't wait to see it up close next week!

dutchy

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Jul 6, 2009
The Netherlands
Hi Gerry,

I think the mid section looks better now with the Blyxa and the Crypts, compared to the Downoi. Growth looks a lot better also.

Status
Not open for further replies.