This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.
  1. We are after as many aquarium plant images that we can get, doing so will assist us in completing the aquarium plant database.

https://barrreport.com/threads/aquatic-plant-images-wanted.14374/
    Dismiss Notice

New Tank Build Thread

Discussion in 'General Plant Topics' started by Gerryd, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. feh

feh Guru Class Expert

Local Time:
    10:36 AM
    Hatchets in an open top tank? Mine have never tried to jump, but the top is also covered. My LFS had some marbles last time I was in the there but other than F&S I dunno anyone online to order those from. Never bought fish from F&S but I've heard good things about the Diver's Den. I've only ordered parts and supplies from them.

2. Matsyendra

Matsyendra Junior Poster

Local Time:
    I had 3 marbled hatchets in the past. I lowered my water level to about 75% tank height and didn't lose any through "flying". They did seem to spook easily, especially at feeding time. If you want to have the water level high, I reckon it would be best to cover the tank.

3. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Speaking of Rachel, she is the one that I got my Sawbwa resplendens (Asian rummy nose) from. She is a pleasure to deal with. My fish arrived safe and sound. Also, many times she has Amano shrimp on sale.

4. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi feh,

Then either: a) they were not hachetfish :) or b) you just didn't see them jump. It is part of their nature as being surface dwellers they are a main prey species for many other species....

5. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Good to know..Yes, I inquired about Amanos as well...

6. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Fish

Hi all,

Well I drove around today 'fishing' at the area LFS....

Found 14 more ottos, so the 220 got 9 and the 180 got 5 so at least a dozen in each tank now....

I also found 2 nice small bushy nose and grabbed those as well for the 220..

I also found 25 or so h.bleheri so am on my way to the school....I have sent out requests for 3 batches of 50 from 3 different suppliers...Henry, Rachel, and Mark @ anubias design whom I have worked with in the past. That should do it for rummies...I hope to get two deliveries next week some time so may have most of them very soon..I think I would max out around 200 or so....give or take a dozen lol

Then to track down the pencils and have patience until they are found...It could be awhile I know esp to get the numbers I want....

My friend Bob and I were speaking before about the 4 week anniversary today (he came up and met Tom) and we spoke about how I had told him upfront that it would take about 2 months to settle down and get going...so we are only at the halfway mark now.

Good to know I knew what to expect but apparently forgot when the issues started :) Hard to be patient when your plants are melting in front of you.....

So, I will try and settle down. I see the downo is starting to sprout new growth from the centers and I think is going to do well. The original leaves are flattening out/browning and I think will fall off or I will snip them...I think in 2-3 weeks they will look very different and greener. I think that they are adapting and that is the key thing.

Now just to get some COFFEEFOLIA (Henry) to finish the planting off....and to get some pics out.

I asked Bob to come down next week and bring his camera which at least is better than mine. I will load my micro disk and snap away and some video..I can then simply upload easily to my PC.....and get out to the sites, photobucket (for the larger images), and youtube for some video..

If I can get/plant the coffeefolia Tuesday and give it a day or two to settle and I can arrange it the way Tom had it by comparing my cloudy week 1 pics! Should be fun to say the least...

Anyhoo, the planting would then be back more or less to the original but the clover/border would be much better and the water much clearer.

I intend to do DAILY 50% WC starting tomorrow until picture day...this will help the tank look it's best and improve the water clarity a bit, so that the pics come out a bit better. Unfortunately, I am still taking them....

The WC will also help with the addition of the fish to the bio load.

Later.

#566 Gerryd, Sep 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 24, 2011
  7. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You mentioned a few people, like Henry, that you are getting your plants from. May I ask what are the links to their sites? Thanks!

8. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Left C,

Here you go:

Henry:

http://stores.theplantedaquariumstore.com/StoreFront.bok

Rachel:

http://www.msjinkzd.com/index.html

Mark @ Anubias Design whom I have worked with before:

http://www.anubiasdesign.com/index.php

Not sure what is up with his site, but he will respond to e-mails...

I have also used Toyo in the past when looking for african lamp eyes. He also got me some alestes last year:

http://www.rehobothaquatics.com/index2.html

9. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Left C,

I realize now you were asking about PLANT suppliers......

So far from Henry and Tom. The stauro was a friend of Tom's and you will have to ask him for that contact, sorry. It was a private e-mail addy....

The bolbitus was mine but also think I had that from Tom a long time ago.....

Sorry about that.

10. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hey all,

So in prep for pictures.....

1. Today I have started on a daily routine of:

a. 50-60% water change AFTER c02 is off for the day. Best time for me, sorry...
    b. Does macros after WC.
    c. Next morning dose micros.
    d. Repeat :)

2. I will continue this daily until pic day sometime later this week..This will be at least 4-5 days...counting today.

3. I have cleaned the inside glass except the very bottom for the ottos. They have plenty of diatoms on the wood to eat..Not much accumulation except for diatoms and a bit of dirt...I had not really wiped in >3 weeks..I wanted to guage it..

So, these things should help the plant growth, the water clarity, the water quality, and the fish as well.

The tank is looking healthier all the time, I have to keep reminding myself it is a COMPLETELY new setup and is still only 4 weeks old. I can't expect it to look 6 months old in 5 weeks :)

I hope/expect that my friends camera will do better than my P&S and provide a bit better detail..

I will most likely post via photobucket link to use a larger image size.

I will take some smaller images for the forum....

I will also upload some video on youtube, as the vid is much better IMO than the stills..

I need to just maintain the maintenance (lol), observe constantly, and be patient. No algae to speak of except for the expected and aforementioned diatoms. Plant growth is healthy if not overwhelmingly fast. However, this was a goal long term, so I will stick with the plan.

I am tempted to increase PAR a small pct to push a bit, but will leave as is. I want to see how the tank does with the current lighting levels before I change them..

Later.

11. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thank you for the links. I really appreciate it.

One thing that I amazed me is that your high ammonia level sure got to a low level rather quickly for the Amazonia.

12. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    You are welcome. Please note I do NOT test ammonia and have no idea what it is presently or at any time for this build.

It was one less thing I wanted to worry about, is what the test kit said daily.....

All is based on plant growth, health, and the health of the fish....

13. Left C

Left C Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    The otos can tolerate it. That's a good sign! It has to be low.

14. tjbuege

tjbuege Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi Gerry,

Eagerly waiting for pics!

Question for you, though. And this question is for anyone that has many and/or large tanks. How do you do your water changes? I mean, what do you use? For my 10g, 20g and 29g, I use my python hose hooked up to the faucet. But even with my "small" tanks, I think it takes too long and wastes too much water. How do you do it with a 220, 180 and 45? Do you have a pump to pump it out? I can't imagine you suck on the end of a hose to get the water going. :)

15. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Otos all seem fine and getting fat with all the diatoms :)

Yes, fish and snails seem fine....

16. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Hi,

I have a mag drive 500 gph pump with 30' of clear hose attached to it. I simply drop this in the tank to where I want to drain to and plug it in. Takes maybe 20-25 mins to drain say 3/4 of the 180 or the 220. The pump has a strainer on it as well. Got to watch if you have small critters or they will go right down the drain...

I have another 30' of clear tubing that I attach to the kitchen tap. I went to the hardware store and got a few parts to connect it directly. I simply turn the faucet ON, add PRIME, and wait :) I remove the little faucet cap/washer (unscrews easily) and attach my DIY hardware kit... Takes 5 seconds..

I trim and clean glass, filters, etc while draining and filling....

No bucket brigade for me... I couldn't do a EI/C02 tanks of these sizes with a bucket...

17. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I think the many large water changes over the last 4 weeks helped a lot too :) Min 3 x 75-80% weekly. Now I am doing 50% daily to get ready for pics!

And to clear the way for more fish!!!!!!! I will continue to do daily while fish are being introduced....

18. 2wheelsx2

2wheelsx2 Lifetime Members
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    I run a Jehmco super safety siphon for my 125 and 100 gallon tanks. http://www.jehmco.com/html/safety_siphon_aquarium_drain.html

Hooked to a Quiet One 3000 and a garden hose. 4 minutes to drain 50 gallons or so.

19. tjbuege

tjbuege Lifetime Charter Member
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    Thanks, Gerry. I'll look into a pump. One issue I have is, the tanks are in the basement, so there's no running the hose out to the garden, unless I have a pump. I may just run the hose into the shower drain.

Interesting. I'll look into this as well.

Ok, now back to our regularly scheduled topic! :)

20. Gerryd

Gerryd Plant Guru Team
    Lifetime Member

Local Time:
    A Challenge

So........

As you may know I have been waiting for some new anubias coffeefolia to arrive and replace that which I destroyed, to my now everlasting regret...

Henry was able to come through with some and I picked it up tonight.....I also visited his new retail space for a few minutes. I had to drag him away from some walk in customer so I could PAY for the stuff :)

I had ordered 24 med and alas, got half of that and they were all fairly small. At least much smaller than HOPED for...

My anubias NANA are larger than these plants :) NOT HENRY'S FAULT. He ordered LOTS of MED and they stiffed him...I feel bad for him as well as the others that had ordered this plant....I only took some of what Henry had so as to leave some for other customers..I did get to choose which ones I took though :)

Basically got about 15-20% of what was expected/needed due to the much smaller size and # of plants...I was hoping for larger and more robust/mature/leafy specimens...

Compared to what WAS originally supplied by Tom it is like a mighty mature and venerable tree next to a very young seedling..I know they will grow eventually but.....

Looks like it WILL be a year before it ever looks the way it should have or did the day it was scaped simply due to this one species.

This is a good thing for you all in that I am so disgusted with myself and the stupid coffeefolia that you will get pics sooner rather than later.

I'll plant them in a bit while doing my daily WC but it will look WORSE in terms of bio-mass than it does now...

Are you folks SURE you really want to see this thing?

Maybe I should make a poll thread :)

OR

disappear for 6-12 months, don't post, and hopefully pleasantly surprise you all at that time with a mature looking tank.....

Decisions, decisions.... BTW, I am NOT joking about this sabbatical...

Apparently I only need to 'deal' coffeefolia INSTEAD of the illegal drugs I was using.... duh! They appear to be in high demand (at least by me) and very limited supply...

I will try AAG as they had some advertised...I will post my experiences. I should have ordered anyway as a backup but was confident in Henry. I am still confident with HIM, just not his plant supplier :)

#580 Gerryd, Sep 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.