New Pump For a 110g

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi Roger,

Well, it depends on your setup, but a venturi can create very fine mist which is not as noticeable as you may think.

It is thought that the mist is beneficial to plants especially when they are in direct contact with it.

I have seen better growth closer to where my outlets are.

You can throttle the flow and the pump will not burn out as long as it doesn't run dry. That is where planning for plumbing is helpful. A few extra valves and such and you can create a bypass where any flow/pressure NOT used by the components is directed back to the tank.

I use the 533 as mechanical only. I removed the charcoal bag provided and run it empty that way. You could add bio-balls or ceramic rings instead, as there is room enough.

The 546 I do not have, but am thinking of adding one. If I do, it would go AFTER the 533 mech filter, or PRIOR to the venturi, as the bio canister does not cause as much reduction in flow/pressure to the venturi. It is more high flow than the 533.

Hope this helps.

rthomas

Guru Class Expert
Oct 25, 2007
Gerryd;31214 said:
I use the 533 as mechanical only.

Didn't mean to hijack this thread but that's very surprising indeed. But do you have any other filter that does biological filtering :confused:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Just the sponges on the dual intakes and whatever the substrate and tank has.

I lost my main bio-filter when I swithed from sump wet/dry to canister.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Will Gerryd I just received my BlueLine 55 HD I am very Pleased! It's like NEW. Testing will be done this weekend just have to clean the dust on the fan , and check out what the pump propeller looks like and clean it.
Now next for the Pluming.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Would it be wise to run the pump on a 5/8 hose for awhile until i get a new inline heater and uv light that will handle a 3/4 or 1 inch line? {Looking on getting a use Fire Plug Heater for this set-up} will it burn out the pump or just WAIT until i get all the equipment together.
If I use a 3/4 line from the pump and Tee off to co2 reactor and uv light an heater and merge back to a 1/2 inch spray bar the length of my tank there should be enough pressure to circulate the water real good? Should i use a 1 inch intake .

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
Will i have decided to go with 1inch inline system, I order a 1x6 threaded strainer,1inch threaded coupling and 1x6 nipple w/2 90* elbows for my intake , my pump will have 2 union ball valves 1 on each end, I have not replace my reactor,uv light, and heater yet but my return will have a 1inch 90* elbow and a 1x3/4 reducer elbow, 3/4 loc-line, 3/4x1/2 Y reducer with 2 1/2x6inch line ,and 2 1 1/4 flare nozzle , There will be 2 returns going into my 110g tank, My equipment i have an old 2x14 w/bio-balls co2 reactor, I am planning on building another with a 3x24 co2 reactor with 1 inch inlet/outlet, I have a use Fire Plug Heater 500w coming, It will be a while yet before i put it all together

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

You will be happier going to the 1".......good choice.

You may want to investigate using 2 45 elbows instead of the 90. Is a gentler curve.......

I also have dual returns, but used more loc-line to expand to 3 outlets per return for 6 outlets total, 3 per side. Decreases flow a tiny bit but works great to really position the flow where I want it.

Sounds good. Keep us posted.

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
I am only using the 90* elbows to go up and over the rim will the 45* work for that, Oceanic tank has the big center brace so I'm putting a duel return on each side of the brace , OH I just saw in the Loc-Line web sit that they have a 24inch spray bar that i could split in have for my duel return 12inch each side that would give me better coverage ??? This is going to take some time!!
:eek:

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
You just have to connect the 2 45 with a small pvc section is all.....

Yes, planning is a pain as there are many good ideas out there and every time you think you have it done, someone else points out an improvement.....

Is why I never say I am done with configuring, just waiting for the next scheduled change lol

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
hey Gerryd I'm still trying to fig my pluming and my co2 reactor too, is the am1000 2.75 in size, I wanted to built a 3 inch an try to use there holder, I'm planing on using Polycarbonate tubing which comes shy of the size you order, My last reactor i built i got a 2 inch and it was shy from it but was still able to use 2inch pvc

inkslinger

Guru Class Expert
Dec 15, 2007
How do I determent on how much heat is needed for a 110g , Will I been running 300w with no problem, I was looking in getting 2 Pentair Heater Modules {Small size} and use 2 150w or 2 200w heaters would that be a good idea for my co2 reactor and BL 55 HD Pump ? Or would it be to much flow?