New planted tank 150 gallon low tech

Gerryd

Plant Guru Team
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2007
South Florida
Hi,

Thanks... I hope it was mine lol

I would look into building a reactor yourself or even easier, I would just use a needle wheel pump to diffuse the c02 and provide some additional flow...

They are easy to buy or modify and simple to install :)

I know there are a few members here from down under that will soon chime in with their experiences....

BTW, with good c02 and good light, Blyxa is a WEED. Know that in advance.....as are most other stems, but you will soon find out I hope....

Was this my tank:

View attachment 1700

Whiskey

Jun 14, 2010
San Diego, CA
I think you have made a wise choice in opting to go with Pressurized CO2.

For a tank that size, I too would go with the needlewheel setup, at least at first, I could always change it if I decide I don't like it. I would probably also direct the output of my needlewheel pump into a pipe I ran along the whole back of the tank. I would then drill the pipe to make a spraybar so I can diliver all the co2 along the entire back wall of the tank, and have it blowing forward. This would be farily easy, hidden by plants, and my guess is that it would be pretty effective when mixed with good flow.

Whiskey

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Blyxa a weed? Damn i must have some of your water to test, or i will send you some of my water to test! It is either the Blyxa we have here in the Netherlands that are bad, or you'rs grow on superthrive or something! haha
What soil are you using for your Blyxa spread?

shoggoth43

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 15, 2009
Flourite works pretty well to bring out the weed in blyxa. Also, ensuring your CO2 line isn't kinked so no CO2 flows also tends to help. Not that I speak from experience or anything like that...

-
S

Gilles

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Aug 6, 2008
Netherlands
Well that is the problem;
I need to have 10 bags for my 180cm * 70cm tank, which comes down to €334,68 (!)
Any chance i can get thesame effects with WC ?

FastFreddy

Junior Poster
Aug 27, 2010
Hi Guys sorry for delay in reply. I have been reading my head off and I think it will implode any second lol. I would prefer something external and I'm ashamed to say I'm not terribly DIY. What about if I bought an Aqua Medic 1000 co2 reactor and rigged it up to an Aqua Medic Ocean Runner OR2500? I know this isn't the cheapest option but would this work well for my needs? Thanks again for all your help.