New plant species (to me).

Aquariumtherapy

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
I ordered some algae eating shrimp from Dave Wilson (Aquagreen), and he sent me some species of plant that are new to me... one of which I haven't seen anywhere in the hobby before (not to say that it's not around... I just haven't seen it).

Rotala Rosea - the one I've never seen before. Large round leaves, with very red stems. I'm hoping that it may get redder leaves as it settles into my tank, too (just arrived tonight).
IMG_3927_zps5004d9cb.jpg

Rotala Mexicana 'Red'. I've not had this one before, although I've seen it on forums from time to time.
IMG_3923_zps302d64f3.jpg

Najas sp (Obviously Dave doesn't know which particular species, so nor do I!). I've had Najas Roraima before... and didn't get overly excited about it. I'll see how this one grows out.
IMG_3926_zps443648ff.jpg

Maidenia Rubra... this plant is related to Vallisneria, believe it or not!
IMG_3928_zpsd5154db8.jpg

And finally, one he's sent me previously that he tells me I'm the first one he knows of to grow successfully in an aquarium... Isachne confusa (centre of pic extending taller back)
IMG_3924_zpse978bfdb.jpg

Aquariumtherapy

Lifetime Members
Lifetime Member
Jun 3, 2011
Adelaide, Australia
yme;98121 said:
I always thought it just another rotundifolia variant..

http://www.paluplanta.nl/productdetail.asp?productgroepID=12&productID=248&taalID=2

greets,

yme

When Dave mentioned he might send it to me, I googled pics of it on the net, and I too thought it was a rotundifolia variant. However, Dave's response to my question on this was: "It's a chunky plant like Bacopa".

Having the plant now, I'd say it's closer to Rotala indica in it's stem and leaf type, but the leaves are about 5-6 times bigger. They are large, round leaves about 1.5cm in diameter. Stems are also very red and fleshy... much more so (fleshy) than rotundifolia

I would suggest that the rosea you've put up a link to is a different plant entirely than the one I have... but we'll see as it grows in.

The variant sent me by Dave is from the Adelaide River in the Northern Territory of Australia.

yme

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Nov 30, 2005
"It's a chunky plant like Bacopa".

that's nice! I agree that it is a different species. (although the leaves are very round)
very interested in how this plant will develop! please keep on posting pictures :)

greets,

yme

samh

Guru Class Expert
Nov 16, 2010
SE QLD Australia
The native najas "tenuifolia"(spelling) is really beautiful. Mine grew well when I had it ages ago its quite delicate and look a bit like setaceum on first glance. Hope they grow well for you mate.