New pics of the behemoth

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
You folks can check the older threads for the older pics, here's the latest work:

The client is getting things right, I still am working on adding a O2 controller and a special CO2 flow metering system, unlike anything seem in this hobby.

He still has a ways to go for scaping, but you get the general idea:

Resized1600galOct.jpg

Resized1600galcloseOct1.jpg

resized1600Oct2.jpg

resized16000Oct3.jpg

All EI dosing methods.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Well, the pumps are 2 iwaski 2000gph, 4000w MH's but they are only on for 4 hours as day and about 800W of PC's on for 10 hours. 500W of UV, it's likely about 200$ a month or so with water and everything.

"Chump change" for some folks.

regards,
Tom Barr

AquaticJim

Guru Class Expert
Aug 2, 2007
That's one damn fine lookin' tank, it must look it even better in real life!
How hard is it Tom reaching down to prune stuff down low?

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Depends, if you float like I do, it's relaxing and easy.
If you hang with your knees, and bob from rock/wood to rock and wood, it'll give you a head ache if you do it long.

Regards,
Tom Barr

aquabillpers

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Tom Barr;19851 said:
Depends, if you float like I do, it's relaxing and easy.
If you hang with your knees, and bob from rock/wood to rock and wood, it'll give you a head ache if you do it long.

Tom,

That's just a beautiful tank. I bet The Master in Japan keeps a picture of it in his office, for inspiration.

Now, here's something that would be an instant sensation: A picture of you in full tank-cleaning garb, hanging from your knees and cleaning. That would be a forever keeper.:)

Bill

VaughnH

Lifetime Charter Member
Lifetime Member
Jan 24, 2005
Sacramento, CA
aquabillpers;19853 said:
Tom,

That's just a beautiful tank. I bet The Master in Japan keeps a picture of it in his office, for inspiration.

Now, here's something that would be an instant sensation: A picture of you in full tank-cleaning garb, hanging from your knees and cleaning. That would be a forever keeper.:)

Bill

Wet suit. Snorkel. Tool belt with sharp knife to fight off the fish. Etc.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
aquabillpers;19853 said:
Tom,

Bill

There's already one of me swimming in the tank with the discus.
I have a few of the client prune upside down.

I wanted to make a lower mainteance tank like Amano's massive tank.
However, the client wanted a planted foreground etc and more variety.

Typical goals of newer plant folks.

I wanted a nice white gravel foreground.
We had the wood etc for a nice design etc.

So this tank takes a lot more effort to deal with than the ADA tank.
Eventually, maybe in 1-2 years, the effort will be less and they will perhaps need relatively the same amount of work, but not for some time I think.

I try besides feeding and dosing, to spend not more than 2-3 hours a week on a tank for any client once set up and going well(either myself or them doing the work). If you are scaping for a contest, expect 2-5x that amount of labor and do so for up to 10-12 weeks).

I could whip this tank into a massive dutch style(I have a strong preference for Dutch scapes) if I lived there and could mess with things for 10 weeks or so.

But that's not an option.

Nor would I ever own a tank this size and depth.

30" is the max depth I like.
My arms are only so long...........

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
VaughnH;19856 said:

Nope, I hold my breath or better yet, I peer down and keep still so not to ripple the water as I flat on the surface. I lift myself up a tad to peer down and feel around with the hands. I can scape blind actually, I've done this a lot in the past due to murky water, inacessible areas etc.

I just wear REI river shorts, Poly tank tops etc, stuff that dries fast.
I might have some scissors and paint scraper

Regards,
Tom Barr

AquaticJim

Guru Class Expert
Aug 2, 2007
VaughnH;19856 said:

I'd take advantage of the nice warm tropical water minus the wet suit. When I do work in my tank, my 9 SAE's go all over my hands and arms preening my hair. They'd go nuts if they had my whole body to do!
:)

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
I have had a battery of smaller 2-6 gallon nanos as well.

Very few 75 gallon tanks though, they must be nice to work on? :)

Regards,
Tom Barr:

Carlos05

Junior Poster
Jan 1, 2008
College Station Tx
I hope to get one this summer. I have a 20 gallon but I always thought 75 - 120 gallons would be the biggest to do an effecient planted tank. I hope I will gain enough experience by this summer with the 20 I have to do well with a larger tank. But a 1600??? I would have to be rich and have a lot of time.

khoile

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2005
altum

Tom,

Where did you buy the altum angels? I'm planning to get some for my tank also.

Thanks.
Khoi

JHipkin

Junior Poster
May 27, 2005
khoile;22591 said:
Tom,

Where did you buy the altum angels? I'm planning to get some for my tank also.

Thanks.
Khoi

I'm also looking for Altums for a 120 I'm building. Assuming the rain stops so I can finish painting the stand, the tank will be ready for fish in 4 - 6 weeks.

Tom Barr

Founder
Staff member
Administrator
Jan 23, 2005
Some guy in LA, they are only coming out of one area and then only a few times a year.

Regards,
Tom Barr

khoile

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2005
Tom Barr;22596 said:
Some guy in LA, they are only coming out of one area and then only a few times a year.

Regards,
Tom Barr

Tom,

I live in LA, can refer me to him?

Thanks.
Khoi

khoile

Junior Poster
Mar 7, 2005
Tom,

If you don't want to give your sources, I can buy them of off you also. I just wanted to buy some altums from reputable dealer. And since you have obviously bought from him I'm sure he is very reputable.

Thanks.